playMaker

Author Topic: Update PlayMaker without updating actions? [SOLVED]  (Read 1164 times)

Abelius

• Junior Playmaker
Update PlayMaker without updating actions? [SOLVED]
« on: June 12, 2023, 04:44:31 AM »
Hi there,

I'm having issues with PM 1.9.0 and, as part of the troubleshooting process and before asking for help here, I'd like to update to the latest version 1.9.7 and see if that solves the problems.

However, I'd like to know if it would be safe to uncheck the actions during the import process.

I want to do this because I've already tried updating as-is, and it's making a mess of my project, even after dealing with duplicate actions and such, as advised in the preflight check.

What do you think? Is something going to bite my rear in the future if I do this?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 11:00:06 AM by Abelius »
Unity 2019.4.9f1
Playmaker 1.9.7f1

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Update PlayMaker without updating actions?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2023, 07:20:33 AM »
Hi.
Some action might have been updated that had some bugs.
i would narrow down to action (groups) that give you issues.

Abelius

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2023, 07:39:46 AM »
Ah well, the reason I want to update is because I'm getting "Error Loading Action: Init" errors.

One day everything is fine, the next I get hundreds of them, and the main problem is that I can't identify the FSM or templates they refer to, only the action.

I've spent all weekend exchanging that action for an alternative, to only get errors now with the new action name.

So, I don't think the problem is with the actions themselves, but how PM is working, storing meta data or whatever it is doing (I'm not a coder and have no idea).

But one common thing I've seen on other threads related to this issue, is that most users are on 1.9.0, just as I. That's why I want to update, and I'd actually just update to version 1.9.1 to try, but the Asset Store SUCKS and it only lets you download the latest version.

Anyway, I'm ranting. The thing is, if I still have bugged actions that will be a minor problem. I just want to update the core and see if it solves the problem.

Is that possible? Of course, I'd later on update the actions incrementally and very carefully.
Unity 2019.4.9f1
Playmaker 1.9.7f1

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2023, 08:19:59 AM »
Hi.
that should be ok,
if you did not updated action and you get errors you might want to update these in side the action folder :

best to make a backup of your project 1st

Abelius

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2023, 09:44:55 AM »
Always! I make a daily full backup.  ;D

And thanks. Let's see how it goes.
Unity 2019.4.9f1
Playmaker 1.9.7f1

Abelius

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2023, 10:59:20 AM »
Awesome, no more errors after the "partial upgrade"!  ;D

I checked on the scripts you suggested, and checked off all actions under PlayMaker and PlayMaker Custom Actions folders.

Now let's hope I didn't invoked any bad luck spirit by coming here all excited and saying it's working.  ::)
Unity 2019.4.9f1
Playmaker 1.9.7f1

Christoph

• Beta Group
Re: Update PlayMaker without updating actions? [SOLVED]
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2023, 07:09:09 PM »
Haha that happens all the time. But great you figured it out.

Consider to use git to make your backups as it’s very easy to submit changes, have a version history and revert in case something goes sideways.

Github desktop is the easiest in my opinion.

Abelius

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2023, 07:42:09 AM »
I've lost count of how many times I've been encouraged to use version control software, but I've been a systems technician for so much time that my brain only can process backups as a whole.  ::)

That said, I think I'm going to heed your advice and try to implement it this time. I guess I'll still be able to make my full backups anyway.

BTW, on another note, I was using Run FSM Func (a custom action from a user here), and the upgrade broke all the action calling it by wrongly identifying the output variables.

I'll need to migrate those to the now upgraded built in Run FSM, I guess. Just a warning for people passing by, doing what I've done.
Unity 2019.4.9f1
Playmaker 1.9.7f1

burgertepid

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2024, 04:16:43 AM »
No this was caused from updating core game kit.
dino game