playMaker

Author Topic: NullReference Error EVERYTIME I open the Playmaker FSM  (Read 2155 times)

Qbanyto

• Vista Larga, Paso corto
Re: NullReference Error EVERYTIME I open the Playmaker FSM
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2021, 01:34:43 PM »
I can’t share my project because one is copyright and I don’t have permission and two is 15 GB so far. Are there any known issues with the latest unity and play maker with Triggerss? My triggers stop working as well.

I exported my project as a package and tried to import it into 2019 unity along with 2020 unity but I’m getting a plethora of issues like that. Also my geometry for one of my characters are discombobulated.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2021, 10:50:57 AM »
Hi, I sent you a PM about joining the PlayMaker Beta group, not sure if you saw it?

Qbanyto

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2021, 12:01:18 PM »
Yes I responded. I’m waiting for the link :)

Qbanyto

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2021, 09:00:29 PM »
any updates on this? i cannot see any changes with ANYTHING related to playmaker unless i restart unity.  even if its something as simple as a Audio Play, or changing a bool, etc. the changes wont take effect unless i restart unity.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2021, 09:13:54 PM »
For triggers:

Trigger and other MonoBehaviour events are handled by optional components automatically added by PlayMaker when those events are used in an FSM. These events can effect performance, so we only want to handle them if they're used.

You can find the list of event components in Components > PlayMaker > Event Handlers.

Normally event components are hidden in the editor, to avoid cluttering the UI. You can select PlayMaker Preferences > Debugging > Show PlayMaker Event Handler Components, then when you hit play you should see the event components added to the GameObject and you can check their setup.

Sometimes event components can get saved with a GameObject. You can delete these components and they will get re-added as needed.

Do you see trigger event components added when you select this debug option?

-----
Was typing above when you posted. It sounds like you're having more systemic issues. I'm not sure I understand what's happening. Can you post a quick video of what "not seeing any changes" looks like? And any errors in the console.

Have you tried updating PlayMaker after you updated Unity?
What version of Unity did you update from?
Different versions of Unity can require a PlayMaker update. Try re-downloading it in the Package Manager to get the right version.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 09:17:24 PM by Alex Chouls »

Qbanyto

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2022, 01:11:26 PM »
Yes whenever I make a change to the main fsm that controls my main characters logic, I have to restart unity in order to see its effects. Other wise it just stops working.  Usually it triggers that bull reference error.

I can try to do a video.

Qbanyto

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2022, 08:49:07 PM »
Been busy with work and family and holidays so I haven’t had a chance to make a video.

But I will say the issue has gotten worse. Before, it was only with one character.
Now when I open ANY fsm using playmaker editor while in edit mode, the engine bugs out and nothing works. I have to restart unity. Even with something as simple as a water ripple that uses playmaker fsm.

If I open the playmaker fsm editor during GAME mode,  everything works fine. But I MUST close out the playmaker window or change to the fsm of another object, if i want to make sure the fsm im working on still works.

It’s hard to explain.

Basically, I can ONLY edit/test/create/use playmaker while in game mode. Otherwise if i try to edit the fan while in edit mode, like we’re supposed to, it breaks all the logic on which never gameObject I’m viewing the fsm for.

If I have a ball that uses playmaker fsm to bounce, and I open the fsm while in edit mode, and then hit play, it doesn’t bounce. But if I restart unity, and NOT open the fsm, and hit play, the ball bounces.

My current work around is:
If I make changes In game mode, I then have to copy component, stop game mode,. Paste component as new,  erase old component. Restart unity. And then it works (as long as I don’t open that playmaker fsm)

In conclusion, playmaker is breaking playmaker for some reason.

I got a link for the beta. I haven’t tried it yet. I will soon because this is crazy.

EDIT:  now playmaker breaks playmaker when open in giant playmaker fsm regardless if I’m in edit mode or play mode. Can someone look into this? You u have the same issue? I have to restart unity , literally every time I make a change with a playmaker fsm in order to see the changes.

On unity 2021.2.5f1
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 10:06:26 PM by Qbanyto »

Qbanyto

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2022, 06:59:50 PM »
any updates on this? couple of months later and still dealing with this.

Basically, any changes i make with ANY Playmaker fsm, i have to restart unity to make it work. other wise it doesnt.

Qbanyto

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2022, 10:21:11 PM »
I guess this is a bug with no fix. I'll keep dissecting..