playMaker

Author Topic: Why can I only type 1 character at a time in PlayMaker?  (Read 1144 times)

velketor

• Junior Playmaker
  • Multimedia Marathon Man
    • Shawn Kilian Portfolio
Why can I only type 1 character at a time in PlayMaker?
« on: August 29, 2020, 08:50:29 PM »
For some reason, I can only type 1 character at a time when naming an FSM, naming a state, or typing in a value for an Action.  PlayMaker loses focus after the first character is entered and I have to physically click back into the field to type another character.  That means when I type something like the word "Letter" it takes 6 tries or typing a number like "77" takes 2 tries. 

Naming events and variables works fine.  Also Unity is not displaying behavior like this either.  It's specific to PlayMaker.

Video of the issue happening below:
https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cYjvcGm83H

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Why can I only type 1 character at a time in PlayMaker?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 06:44:54 AM »
Hi.
Close the Global window.

Also you should minimize using globals

You can use get/set fsm actions and you have more fms actions on the Ecosystem (for example fsm bool test / fsm float compare)

velketor

• Junior Playmaker
    • Shawn Kilian Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 08:10:40 AM »
Hello,

Thank you for answering my question.  So odd that I cannot keep the Global Variables window open, but if that's the fix, so be it.

Why is it bad for me to use Global Variables?  They work much better than local variables for my purposes, and I don't have to remember where they exist.  I only use local variables when I don't need to access the variable outside of that FSM.

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 10:39:48 AM »

velketor

• Junior Playmaker
    • Shawn Kilian Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 06:46:32 PM »
Thank you for the link.

I see it says:
A typical project may have 2-3 global variables tops.

Above 10 and you should use a dedicated MetaData FSM’s hosting just local variables and have other FSM’s getting that value using getFsmXXX()

However it does not explain why using global variables is bad.  It simply states this is the preference of the dev's who made PlayMaker.  Is there an actual reason not to use Globals?  I find them much easier to work with than to try and link up hundreds of FSM's.

BredDev

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 02:19:07 AM »
@djaydino thanks for the link to this, these are some good relatable tips.

@velketor
Had the same problem last week using Global Variables, was working on making a UI manager when I docked GV, it wouldn't let me type more than one character at a time, thought Unity or PM was broken...only realized shortly after if you don't dock the GV tab then there's no bug and you can type fine.

Still a pain to not have it docked but yeah, something they should look into and fix.