playMaker

Author Topic: Building a saving system.  (Read 1805 times)

escooler

• Playmaker Newbie
Building a saving system.
« on: October 20, 2015, 06:20:32 AM »
Hey Playmaker forums, I have searched the forums and found a few similar questions, but nothing that addresses this head on, so I thought I would post, as this wonderful community has been very helpful in the past.

I am trying to build a save system for a small point and click game.

I have 2 scenes in the game, one which contains the main menu, and the second that contains the whole game, as the character moves between locations, various game objectives activate and deactivate to draw a new set, occasionally objects will move or scale based on some interaction. 

What would be the simplest way of essentially ‘pausing/saving’ everything in the game scene, locations/variable (also the pixel cursors dialogue system, which is handling the conversations) character positions, in its current state in the game scene to return to the main menu?

After a bit of reading, it seems that with a lot of save systems you can only save all the variables of a scene, meaning I would have to build a bunch of extra programing to make sure when the scene was activated reactivated, all the game objects were put into location, and the correct ‘set’ activated. is there a much simpler system, than having to ‘dress the set’ on every load?

Adam

escooler

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Building a saving system.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 06:22:46 AM »
Here is a picture of game game for fun as well.

ManicMinerUK

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 08:47:16 PM »
Unfortunately, you have basically answered your own question - most games save-games are just a mirror of all the data the game needs to "rebuild" the current game state.

All I can really suggest is that you have all "changeable" objects save their current position or scale (or perhaps a boolean to record if they have "done their thing" if they just toggle themselves into a new state) when the user saves their game, and then you will have to have each object return to this saved state on a load action.

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 01:32:25 AM »
Hi,
I know Jean is working on a save system that will be able to save everything, even the current state positions.
But it might take a while till it is done.