playMaker

Author Topic: hi i am new to playmaker hmmm  (Read 5076 times)

Roninfang

• Playmaker Newbie
hi i am new to playmaker hmmm
« on: July 13, 2015, 01:38:05 AM »
am new to playmaker

i am a 3d artist by proffession

thing is ive also always wanted to make my own games on my freetime even just simple ones and always wanted to start my own small indie that does original content (making simple games, comics etc whatever) and does a bit of outsourcing...

thing is i am not a programmer and wont have time to learn programming since i know programming take years to be good at and i dont have time for it...

i also know that problem with using playmaker is...even though if i manage to find a programmer once i program the game in playmaker...
A. the code will be very messy to the point either way programmer will have to redo the whole programming from scratch
B. i think the build if made with playmaker cannot be passed around via sourcetree and such
hmmm having a really hard time finding a proper programmer

....so yeah me and my indie desperately wanted to make our own simple games but none of us are programmers

so thinking ill make a quick build/prototype using unity3d/playmaker
sell it...

if when have budget to hire programmer...then hire a programmer hmmm
so partly curious as well here actually who made a game in playmaker and sold it online in stores like google play and such, and made some decent amount of income from it?

also how long does it usually take to make a game using playmaker?
hmmmm

foxdeltagames

• Junior Playmaker
Re: hi i am new to playmaker hmmm
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 01:48:28 AM »
A game takes as long as it takes to make reguard less of what you use to program it. Playmaker actually is just a proxy to actually writing scripts in C#.

Playmaker really woulnt be hard to explain to someone if they have some knowledge with playmaker, or yourself explain what the FSM is doing.

If you want to see what team made a game in playmaker then go look at user showcase section of the forums. Almost anything can be done playmaker, you just have to put in the time to learn it. Just becuase it is easier  to use to program, does not mean magic will happen in the first few minutes of using  it.

Roninfang

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 03:25:50 AM »
" what team made a game" i thought one of the issues of playmaker is that you cant passaround the sourcecode with sourcetree and such made with playmaker?

has anybody actually made a little money well selling made games with playmaker? or successfull kickstarter stuff campaign with playmaker used?

well inanycase the gameplay mechanics i had in mind is relative simple

just simple npc has to collect a certain item that will appear randomly on the map on randomly of different locations

also at the same time avoid getting spotted by raoming npc's

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 04:41:21 AM »
Hi,

Just a quick note on sourcetree and PlayMaker content.

The restrictions are the same for PlayMaker than any other binary file when sharing over a github rep or similar, MEcanim files, audio files, animation files, scenes, prefabs, they all suffer this, and so there is no reason why you should not anyway use sourcetree:

-- organize your team work around this limitation. USe simple technics like a quick morning chat on who will do what, "you'll work on this prefab, this fsm, and I'll work on this and that", essentially, you will need to "lock" editing as an aggrement on all developers, and that works very well.

-- organize your content to match this limitation
   -- use fsm templates, then you can edit a gameobject and/or a template independantly
   -- cut down your features in very distinct blocks, scenes, prefabs, folders, etc
   -- do pair programming and work together, it's incredible how effective that is, it may seems like a waiste, but I have a pretty good experience going for over a year now and I am the first one surprised. we are sharing a huge project on sourcetree, and conflicts are very rare and often more because we worked on the same scene or prefab than on the same PlayMaker Fsm, again because we are both aware of what the other do. and so when we detect we need to edit something the other has a lock on, we just call and sort it out one way or the other.

Bye,

Jean

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 07:36:00 AM »
has anybody actually made a little money well selling made games with playmaker? or successfull kickstarter stuff campaign with playmaker used?

one Big example is Heartstone from blizzard.

Roninfang

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 02:17:04 PM »
aside from Heartstone

hmmmm

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 04:51:17 PM »
i also know that problem with using playmaker is...even though if i manage to find a programmer once i program the game in playmaker...
A. the code will be very messy to the point either way programmer will have to redo the whole programming from scratch
B. i think the build if made with playmaker cannot be passed around via sourcetree and such

Playmaker does not produce code that your programmer will modify so this is kind of a moot point. The Playmaker FSM interface is the same for everyone so if you design terrible spaghetti systems then of course everyone working on it will dislike it.

if when have budget to hire programmer...then hire a programmer hmmm
so partly curious as well here actually who made a game in playmaker and sold it online in stores like google play and such, and made some decent amount of income from it?

We have a YouTube Playlist of games that are publicly known to have used Playmaker, but it is far from a complete list. Hearthstone is obviously a huge ticket item yet there are tons of other titles using Playmaker.

also how long does it usually take to make a game using playmaker?

This is really too vague to answer. Some mobile games can take a few weeks, bigger titles take years.

just simple npc has to collect a certain item that will appear randomly on the map on randomly of different locations

This shouldn't be a problem.

In terms of team collaboration, Jean's advice is spot on. You'll be dealing with binary files so simply organize the project and treat them as you would any other binary file and it should be fine.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

Roninfang

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 05:59:04 PM »
anyways my indie's fb page and patreon

Facebook Page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ouranos/176055059227985

Patreon Page

https://www.patreon.com/roninfang

hmmm for my indie's first game project
getting tired of the programmer that keeps leaving in the middle of the project...so thinking make a prototype first to entice audience
or make relatively games...then if have budget or have good amount of supporters then get a programmer

hmmm thinking of planning to purchase this kit

http://3dsauce.com/demos/platformkit.html

with some slight add ons
1. like basically character will have something like a hide mode...
if player is not in hide mode...instant kill when npc/enemies see him/her

but if in hide mode...just certain amount of damage

2. the npcs will appear random on map

3. same the item the player needs to collect also appears on random
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 06:00:56 PM by Roninfang »