playMaker

Author Topic: Streaming audio from URL  (Read 7365 times)

TomEllard

• Playmaker Newbie
Streaming audio from URL
« on: January 26, 2012, 02:35:49 AM »
Looking at the WWWobject action and examples it looks like I can set up streaming video. But all I want to do is stream sound, likely by using WWW.GetAudioClip. Streaming as video is overkill for what I'm doing and requires another $1,500 that I'm not able to spend just yet.

Can't see a way to get an audio clip at all, would be happy with that, or just a 'Play Audio from URL'.

Thanks for your time.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Re: Streaming audio from URL
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 06:22:15 PM »
I did some research on the Unity forums, and it seems like people use empty videos to stream audio in Unity...?

Have you tried using WWWObject to get the movie texture and MovieTextureAudioSettings to play the audio on a GameObject with an Audio Component?

TomEllard

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 11:01:06 PM »
I guess I am being a bit unreasonable, but to have MovieTexture will cost me a Pro license at a time when I'm making a demo to get the money to get the pro license  :-\

I can understand that's a good way to do it, but I guess I will try knock together something just using WWW functions. My ability to code is pretty non existent but if I actually manage it I'll put my hack work on display.

I'll start here:
http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/36202/streaming-audio-clipping-with-unity-3x.html

Cheers.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:05:14 AM by TomEllard »

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 02:19:38 AM »
Ahhh, sorry I missed the pro license part in the original post...

I'll take a look at the link - it would be a cool Playmaker feature.

miguelfanclub

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 11:25:40 AM »
REALLY SORRY from bringing back this old post.... but I havent find anything related to it.
Did you add this feature to playmaker as you said?

Sorry again.

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 11:38:52 AM »
I did extend WWWObject to be relative and import audio but it probably needs to be taken a bit further (stream and 3d audio import bool exposure) to do what we're talking about here. There are some clear performance hits when importing audio with WWW so keep that in mind.

As far as pro-only stuff I can't recall that there was anything added in to specifically import/stream audio via playmaker.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D