playMaker

Author Topic: Climbing with 2d sprites and 2d physics  (Read 2685 times)

Seiryu33

Climbing with 2d sprites and 2d physics
« on: June 14, 2015, 11:36:39 PM »
I haven't found anything that covers it, but are there any tutorials for climbing with 2d sprites and 2d physics? Only tutorial I found covering climbing used meshes instead of sprites.
Tried using it, but of course since the setup is too different it didn't work. Any tips or advice on how to do climbing events with 2d elements?

Seiryu33

Re: Climbing with 2d sprites and 2d physics
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 09:30:25 PM »
Bump

I think the issue is more a question if how to turn off 2d Gravity. My sprite characters use "Rigidbody 2d." thought about adding "Set Mass 2d," and  "Set Gravity 2d" but the player still falls. I've gotten it as far as setting up a "Trigger 2d Event," that . Part works but the physics still take effect. Any way to accomplish that with 2d sprites using 2d physics?

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 05:29:44 AM »
in inspector set gravity scale to 0 ?

greetings,
Dino

Seiryu33

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 05:54:45 AM »
Wrong type of issue. That would just set the default Gravity setting to zero.  I'm trying to create a ladder system using 2d sprites with triggers.

I have it started but the physics keep kicking in and tutorials i've found have only been for 2.5D or 3d which doesn't work with sprites. (I tried.)

For a comparison my ladder system is like the the one in Super mario 2 where the player can move up, and down and jump back off. Keep in mind that my characters are using the Rigidbody 2d component. 

The issue i'm having is that the character won't stay on the climbable objects (vines, ladders, etc.) The player either floats off into space or floats past the object no matter how go about handling the physics. Need help.

Seiryu33

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 03:46:59 AM »
Is there a 2d version of the Use Gravity action? It seems to be prevalent in the tutorials i've seen. If not, might be a good idea to implement it to complement the other 2d settings.

I'm lost on how to proceed.  I've re-worked it several times and it still doesn't work. It's the only thing holding my project up at the moment. Anyone know of the best way of implementing a climb function in a 2d game? Any help is appreciated.