playMaker

Author Topic: Global Transitions [SOLVED]  (Read 10414 times)

LuminRabbit

• Lumin Rabbit
Global Transitions [SOLVED]
« on: February 01, 2012, 11:02:23 PM »
How is everyone this evening? hope all is well :)

Global Transitions:
What are they and how would I use them?

Also I figured out how to create them (right click on a new transition) but I dont know how to name them yet? (sorry noob here) Im just getting 3 little dots.

I've watched the Animation Graphs tutorial part 2 (http://www.screencast.com/users/HutongGames/folders/PlayMaker/media/2fcbd7b0-2a56-4fd2-948b-5bd23e3adbd5) and can see its getting the animation states from the speed but I dont understand how the animation states know to be played.

I think I'll have to go back and see how their set up again, to see how their being called or hooked up :) I'll still take any input on the subject though.

I just found this post which has some good insight as well http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=176.0 which gives me a little more insight.

Thanks in Advance!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 01:32:38 AM by Alex Chouls »
Have I said how much I love playmaker!!! This is one amazing tool

LuminRabbit

• Lumin Rabbit
Re: Global Transitions
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 08:34:57 PM »
Ok, the Global Transition.

If I create an Event then right click on the global transition I created I can select the Event and presto the global transition has my events name instead of 3 little dots :)
Have I said how much I love playmaker!!! This is one amazing tool

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 09:12:26 PM »
You are on the right track then... you have to make a transition on a State and then set it to an Event.. If the event is a normal local event then you can call it from another state locally... I try not to do that anymore as it makes the flow a little difficult to read.... i used to do it a lot but have stopped..

Now if you put in a Global Event in there then you can call that state from anywhere on any FSM using Send Event..

I use global events all the time. I set up logic on something like a camera and say anytime the user presses any of 8 buttons you could send out a global event to tell the camera to refocus on a new location... or something like that... A better example is actually where you trigger some reaction from one place to many places... Like i have a menu in one project that is a language menu and if someone changes the language i Send a "Language Change" global event... All my buttons or text objects have a Transition set to that Global Event and will run that logic to switch all the text over..

Dont forget that you can have multiple FSMs per object too..... i did not know that for a long time and it is so useful..

Good luck. read lots and watch lots of tutorial videos. oh and ask questions this is an awesome forum

Q

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 09:16:56 PM »
Hey and dont forget you can put a global transition on your Start State too... handy as well.

And your Start state always runs.... so i use a lot of them for initializing things and then actually use another state to circle back to in my logic..

And for some FSMs where they are just sitting looking for input the Start state is empty and there maybe 2-6 Global Transitions waiting for things to trigger something..

Q