playMaker

Author Topic: A couple questions about this tutorial  (Read 2807 times)

strange_aeons

• Junior Playmaker
A couple questions about this tutorial
« on: August 09, 2015, 12:06:48 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCf21xBeBQI

these videos were great and very helpful in getting started with Playmaker, but i did have a couple questions about it.

i follow along, doing exactly what is done in the video, but the result i get is that the character will fall straight through the floor, unless i add a collider of some sort to the character, why is that? does the Character Controller not act as a collider?

the other question is, after setting up the WASD movement with the Get Axis Vector and Controller Simple Move, running the scene, the character moves, but the same way shown in the video here. my character rolls and rotates around, like moving forward will roll forward as opposed to the way Captain Awesome slides forward. the only way i know to stop this behavior is setting Kinematic to On, but in the video you have it set to Off. what is going on here?

PlaymakerNOOB

Re: A couple questions about this tutorial
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 12:55:56 AM »
Colliders are required for two objects to collide. Otherwise they will pass through each other.

strange_aeons

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 01:16:18 AM »
right, i understand that also and it makes sense. why does that not happen in the tutorial? at 1:00, he begins putting Rigidbody and Character Controller on the player object, there is no collider on it and when he tests the movement out (at 3:40), the player object does not fall through the floor. by the logic you said, i would expect it to fall through the floor and it does not, so what am i missing?

strange_aeons

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 01:53:57 AM »
so no one can answer a couple of questions?

terri

• terrivellmann.tumblr.com
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 09:16:18 AM »
it shouldn't need a collider on the character controller, you probably just don't have one on the floor

Mordekai

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 01:46:21 PM »
It looks like there is already a collider on the object.  Its included in the character controller component.  He adjusts the collider in the video. Watch from 1:09

M.

strange_aeons

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 08:53:32 PM »
thank you all for your replies, after playing around with it and trying out all sorts of things, even going back to unity 4.x to see if it might have been that, but i think the problem i was having went away wen i scaled the player object up, it no longer fell through the floor. the other issue with the player rolling around on the floor seemed to just go away and i cant explain why, which leaves me a little be concerned.
thanks again! :)