playMaker

Author Topic: Jump  (Read 2590 times)

Roninfang

• Playmaker Newbie
Jump
« on: August 04, 2015, 05:23:48 PM »

hmmm cant seem to make character jump

trying this tutorial

getting no debug error, when i press jump it goes green so no error problems but character isnt jumping

PlaymakerNOOB

Re: Jump
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 10:20:01 AM »
45 minute video is too long to look for it, but its probably a few things since your saying that your input to jump is working but nothing is actually making the player jump

Possibly missing some type of Physics like "Force" being applied to the player
-Force may be set too low to move your object if gravity is enabled
-Force needs to be applied in the positive Y to achieve an upward movement

Roninfang

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 05:03:06 AM »
got it working thanks for the help ^_^

Roninfang

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 05:46:26 AM »
getting a wierd problem now....everything seems to be working but as soon as i apply the set velocity xyz like in the tutorial after holding on the a or d to move around in a few seconds the player slows down and after of which wont move anymore so not sure whats wrong

Roninfang

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 06:01:05 AM »
now having some wierd issues withe move controls

did follow the tutorial

i set the controls so that A is to move to the left, D is to move to the right
but for some strange reason after character moves either to the left or right...it starts slowing down then stops...not sure whats wrong

PlaymakerNOOB

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 11:18:30 PM »
The image shows that you have set velocity every frame, which will enable constant movement.  That is good.

What I recommend, is to break up your states into many small ones until your better at coding.  This way you can visually debug your code and see where things are not working.

So for example, you should have 2 states for movement

State1
Get button "A" down.  If button A is down, goto transition "Finished", where Finished is linked to State2

State 2
Set Velocity, every frame.
Get button "A" up.  If button A is up, goto transition "Finished', where Finished is linked to State1

This will make it everytime you press and hold A, movement will happen.  When you release, movement will stop.