playMaker

Author Topic: Infinite looping side scrolling level (aka Defender) possible in Playmaker?  (Read 1971 times)

Odd_But_Awesome

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Odd but Awesome
Hello all,

Thank you in advance for your time to read this.

I was wondering if/how to make a infinite looping level like old school Defender. Player 'ship' can move left or right freely and will eventually reach the same point. Enemies / powerups / landscape can be eventually lapped if the player goes far enough in one direction. It is for a side scrolling shooter type.

I have a working prototype (landscape only - not enemies yet) from various tutes etc on Unity 5 Vanilla C# (example of one that helped After watching some YT vids on Playmaker it looked like it would be awesome for speed and ease of creation. I have yet to purchase PM and would like to know how much easier it would be before committing.

I am a Unity beginner. I tried searching the forums (looping terrain, looping level etc) but to no avail - unless I missed it.

Regards
Check out my games & VR Cardboard titles at https://oddbutawesome.weebly.com/apps-new.html

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Infinite looping side scrolling level (aka Defender) possible in Playmaker?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 12:34:18 PM »
Hi,
yes that is very possible and easier to test different ways to do it with PM.

a way that i can think of is to move your background instead of your ship.
Split the background in several parts and when you move (for example) to the right to a certain point, the most left part will be set to right side.

Your enemies/Powerup should be set a a child to the background part they are in,
so when the background is moved they will move with it.
You can work with triggers for the enemies so that if they move into another background part they will be set as child to that back ground.

PlayMaker is easy to learn and saves a lot of time, easier to debug and has a good active forum, so if you need any help just ask.

Odd_But_Awesome

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Odd but Awesome
Re: Infinite looping side scrolling level (aka Defender) possible in Playmaker?
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 06:27:06 AM »
Thanks for the reply! :)

Check out my games & VR Cardboard titles at https://oddbutawesome.weebly.com/apps-new.html