playMaker

Author Topic: Simplest way to have lots of text in game? [Solved]  (Read 2241 times)

createasaurus

Simplest way to have lots of text in game? [Solved]
« on: September 16, 2015, 07:36:21 PM »
Hi,
My game has lots of NPCs, who I'd like to randomly say things.  Is there a best practice, or simplest way to approach this?  I know how to build this completely in PlayMaker where each character can randomly say 10 things... Then say 10 different things each time the story progresses... But doing this all in PlayMaker "coding" will get big and disorganized fast.  Is there a simple way to do this, where PlayMaker can access an excell file or something.  Just looking for general advice on how to approach this.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 02:42:58 PM by createasaurus »

mdotstrange

• Can't code? Who cares! Make games anyway!
Re: Simplest way to have lots of text in game?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 08:23:17 PM »
The asset G2U allows you to import google spreadsheets into Playmaker https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/11818

You could also look into using Twine or Yarn to export XML you would then use Datamaker in Pmaker to manipulate

These aren't simple ways though-

I've used this asset https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/5020 with Playmaker in the past to do dialogue- it imports from google spreadsheets as well
Indie game dev and instructor at the Strange School. Learn Playmaker at the Strange School!

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 01:26:55 AM »
Hi,
You can also use array maker, you can find some tutorials here

but xml and datamaker may be more preferable, i am working on a tutorial atm and i hope i get it finished by next week

createasaurus

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 02:42:38 PM »
Hi djaydino and mdotstrange,

Thank you for the recommendations.  I will be checking these out - Array Maker and G2U.  My goal is to choose the simplest (to learn) path.

Thanks again,
createasaurus

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Simplest way to have lots of text in game? [Solved]
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 05:56:40 PM »
Hi,
i have some datamaker tutorials available