playMaker

Author Topic: What Is A Template For Super Meat Boy Style Controller?  (Read 3513 times)

Infinity Squared Games

• Playmaker Newbie
What Is A Template For Super Meat Boy Style Controller?
« on: September 18, 2015, 04:40:41 PM »
Hey guys!
     I have just recently bought PlayMaker and I have to say I love it. I have a lot of experience coding and scripting, but PlayMaker still helps all the time. I have a question, however. I played the game Super Meat Boy awhile back and have a urge to make a semi-similar game. My question is, how can I make a character controller in PlayMaker that is that smooth, and supports wall jump, jump height, etc. I have been trying to make my own, but I have no idea where to even begin with more advanced things. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Calvin

www.infinitysquaredsoftware.com

mdotstrange

• Can't code? Who cares! Make games anyway!
Re: What Is A Template For Super Meat Boy Style Controller?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 06:09:00 PM »
The easiest thing to do would be to find a script that handles most all of those things- smooth movement, jump, jump height etc and use Playmaker's "set property" action to control it-

For third person 3d stuff I use the old free "character motor" script that used to come with Unity- it handles smooth movement+ jump and other options

I just used it on a 2d game as well and it worked fine http://mdotstrange.itch.io/smashytown

I attached the character motor script to this post http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=9756.msg49043#msg49043

Indie game dev and instructor at the Strange School. Learn Playmaker at the Strange School!

Infinity Squared Games

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 06:36:22 PM »
I am kind of confused by the answer :C.

When you say "find a script" do you mean I can use character motor? Also, where can I find the script?

Also, how do I use the SetProperty action to control a script? Are there any tutorials?

Thanks!
Calvin

Infinity Squared Games

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 06:42:28 PM »
So could I use the script made here:

But how would I control it?

mdotstrange

• Can't code? Who cares! Make games anyway!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 06:52:02 PM »
I linked to the character motor script in my post at the bottom  :)

Yes you can control scripts with Playmaker by using the "set property" action amongst a few others like "call method"

What you can do is use a "get axis vector" action to get your movement vector3 variable- then you can use that variable with "set property" on a player movement script like the character motor and send the vector to the script- then you will be using the script to control the player-

The script has a jump- so you would use set property to access that as well- there's other threads here about using the character motor with Playmaker as well
Indie game dev and instructor at the Strange School. Learn Playmaker at the Strange School!

Infinity Squared Games

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 06:53:50 PM »
Thanks!