playMaker

Author Topic: Split Application Binary (.OBB) Please help  (Read 7903 times)

le_bonn

• Playmaker Newbie
Split Application Binary (.OBB) Please help
« on: September 27, 2015, 04:04:41 PM »
Hi All,

I would greatly appreciate any playmaker advice. 

I have developed a few app to completion using playmaker for nearly all the coding, my grasp of #c is poor at best.  I have an app that is nearly finished and all working fine, however on android the apk file is 126mb as I have allot of graphical content that is sucking up space. 

I have read that you are required to split you app and unity provides the option to do this. 

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/android-OBBsupport.html

This is my issue

"If the .obb is published together with the .apk on Google Play, you must also include code to download the .obb. (for those devices that require it, and for scenarios where the .obb is lost)"

Is there anyway for this to be achieved in playmaker??? 

Any help would be most gratefully received.

Cheers

le_bonn

rik

Re: Split Application Binary (.OBB) Please help
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 12:53:09 PM »
you should hire programmer or use asset bundles to make apk smaller.

PlaymakerNOOB

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 09:23:10 PM »
Thanks Rik! 

I am approaching 50 megs and wondered how we would do that since there does not appear to be any playmaker support for the OBB files.   Asset bundles appear to be the current solution.  There are even actions for it on the Ecosystem.

https://github.com/jeanfabre/PlayMakerCustomActions_U3/blob/master/Assets/PlayMaker%20Custom%20Actions/AssetBundle/WWWAssetBundle.cs

phannDOTde

• Peter Hann .de
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 05:43:00 AM »
Could you not use the mentioned Plugin? and just call it through playmaker? (I dont dev on mobile but that's where I would probably start looking)

The asset store has a plugin (adapted from the Google Apk Expansion examples) which does this for you. It will download the .obb and put it in the right place on the sdcard. See http://u3d.as/content/unity-technologies/google-play-obb-downloader/2Qq

PlaymakerNOOB

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 09:47:37 PM »
I saw that it was available, but being an official unity product and seeing the reviews/comments... its not as straightforward or well documented as it seems.

Though, the unofficial tutorial for it makes it appear much easier. 
http://www.exoa.fr/tutorial-unity-4-apk-splitting-google-play-obb/

It still would be nice to have as an actual action.  Like UnityAds.  Fill in your info and it just works.

unclebob

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 11:58:31 AM »
Hope this is not late for you.

Its a little bit un intuitive but that is the way split binaries work.

Simply build the app using the split binary flag under the keystore.  Then upload the apk (the smaller file) to google play.  If its the first apk on this version cycle in alpha or beta... there will be NO option to upload the larger obb file.

This is normal, its the way thing work and its the hoop you have to jump through that seems un intuitive.

Build the app again with a greater version number, again using the split binary option.  We save this build to a child folder with the name and version name.

We then rename the obb file created in the second build to:

main."*"."com.package name".obb

Where the "*" is your version number and the "package name" is what you have called your app in build settings.

When you upload the updated apk (second builds small file) you will have the option off selecting your expansion file.  Select the obb you renamed above.

Wait for google servers to update and then test that it installs.

If you end up with a huge apk file and small obb file, then put a small loading scene into the app and this will force the build to a small apk and large obb.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Unclebob