playMaker

Author Topic: Oculus rift + Playmaker = hands-free navigation  (Read 5681 times)

KC1302

• Playmaker Newbie
Oculus rift + Playmaker = hands-free navigation
« on: June 16, 2015, 02:21:56 PM »

Hi, I just bought playmaker and I want to do something like this.
Would this be possible in playmaker?

Where should I begin with learning? Advice would be appreciated.

wheretheidivides

Re: Oculus rift + Playmaker = hands-free navigation
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 04:02:08 PM »
The 2 parts (left and right eye) comes from the occulus rift plug in.  I think in the next version of unity it will be standard.  You just tell it you need 2 VR screens.

As far as the game, it is just a 3rd person controller with menus.  Nothing special.  So basically anything you can do in unity, you can do in playmaker.  Instead of code you use actions.  Real simple.

You need to learn unity (try their tutorials on their web site or the walker boys website), learn playmaker and go for it.

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 04:10:37 PM »
5.0 and 5.1 have some different VR integration stuff that I haven't looked into yet but Unity should be handling all the heavy lifting in regards to the cameras and screen distortion.

All they're doing in this demo is making a cube follow the view around with a world space UI they toggle on/off. They use a Raycast from the camera out directly forward of the view direction and when it contacts the Cube then they wait a second and enabled a UI Canvas which is probably a child of the cube (which follows the camera view).

Thats pretty simple to setup if you understand how Unity UI and Playmaker works. You'll want to go through some of the YouTube tutorials and get a grasp of the workflow before pursuing this. Unity has tutorials on the worldspace UI as well, I believe.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

KC1302

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 09:38:21 AM »
 :) Awesome! Thanks for the advice. I will start learning as soon as possible.
If I run into issue. I might be back ;)

westingtyler

• My Video Game Projects Web Site
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 02:00:32 AM »
How did they get that cube to follow the eyes, but only around in a circle that doesn't rise up?