PlayMaker Help & Tips > PlayMaker Tutorials

DataMaker Tutorials

<< < (6/6)

Broken Stylus:
Thus far went through part 1.
There is the Xml Select Single Node action.
In the video, the string field for Store Reference stays empty too. Now, aside from storing whatever should appear here in a string variable to reuse it later on in an action like Xml Get Node Properties, I'm not sure this field to be that useful but still, I wondered if I was doing something wrong.
I may push this issue into a general Datamaker thread because it's not really about the tutorials although this thread is often the first result one gets in a search engine for this forum.

djaydino:
Hi.
Reference is stored in memory and xml result in a variable.

A case where you would Set properties and get properties regular could be a use case.

But as xml is slow i usually convert to hash tables @ start and use those to reference, load / save.

here is a tutorial video on that (its not yet public as my unity asset was declined, as apparently i need to update my images to make it look better -.- )

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aKLg4VQS80

Broken Stylus:

--- Quote from: djaydino on July 28, 2020, 05:50:28 AM ---Reference is stored in memory

--- End quote ---

That's what I thought but then I don't see the point of having this field since it's not filled with a string. It's confusing because you expect it to be filled with some string data but it remains empty.

You can either leave it as it is by default, or decide to use a string variable, but the FsmString var remains empty nonetheless too.

Well, I think I got a eureka moment. That string is used to actually give a name to the reference, so that name can be used in other actions.
Being in the result area of the action led me to think it would actually store some text generated by the action.

The description of that field is confusing:

--- Quote ---The result of the xPathQuery stored in memory. More efficient if you want to process the result further
--- End quote ---

You then expect a result to actually be displayed in this field.
When it should be:

--- Quote ---Name of the reference that will be used to point to the result of the xPathQuery stored in memory
--- End quote ---

It's not perfect but I find it more explicit, especially since the code does this:

--- Code: ---DataMakerXmlUtils.XmlStoreNode(node,storeReference.Value);
--- End code ---

And we can see that a node is stored, attached to that specific reference.

Could be reworded:

--- Quote ---Name of the reference that corresponds to the resulting node found with the xPathQuery. This node is stored in memory and can be called with this reference in other actions
--- End quote ---

A bit more wordy but at least it clearly explains what is going on and what is to be expected.

djaydino:
Hi.
Maybe you should suggest this on the datamaker thread :
https://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=2583.0

Lucielu:
Your tutorials helped a lot ! Thank you so much  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version