playMaker

Author Topic: Beginner Help  (Read 2332 times)

gl0ckage

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Duvet Secrets
Beginner Help
« on: November 27, 2015, 05:53:20 PM »
Hello all,

First post - Just bought Playmaker to make my life easier with my new hobby.

I was learning C# and as any beginner does, received errors in my scripting, while browsing the asset store I saw Playmaker and thought I'd take the plunge.

I am wanting to learn how to create android games that are 2d. I have made a few practice games analyzing other peoples scripting for games like Flappy Bird,  Angry birds & Candy Crush. I have a few other basic games that I have made for my son to play memory games etc. Nothing too adventurous.

How would I start using Playmaker? I have watched some videos - IOS fundamentals but that whole UI is different to what mine looks like as from what I can tell that is running on an older version of Unity.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any tutorials in regards to messing with the Playmaker and what it can do for me in terms of replacing the scripting.

I tried messing around and setting one of my Flappy bird assets to flap until Touched in which case it goes into the hit animation however I couldn't get past the Event set-up in the FSM.

I don't have the "Send Event" touch_ended, Touch_moved that were in the IOS funda Video 08.

My end goal is to recreate the 3 games I have previously made with Playmaker only.

How does Playmaker tie into Animations and how does it trigger them?

My future goals are to make an Incremental game via playmaker rather than scripting only and an RPG different mini-games as the battles.

Thanks for any help in advance - You should see me floating around the forums from now on.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 05:55:32 PM by gl0ckage »
Thanks for anyone helping me learn Playmaker.

I appreciate it very much. <3

mdotstrange

• Can't code? Who cares! Make games anyway!
Re: Beginner Help
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 10:31:10 PM »
I came to using Playmaker a lot like you did  :)

It sounds like you already checked out the tutorials on the Hutong Page http://www.hutonggames.com/tutorials_game_design_with_playmaker.php

I found this free intro series really helpful when I first started https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC759306A1E692A10

Its not 2d but I actually created a course that goes through everything you need to know to make a 3d third person game with Playmaker- a lot of the knowledge will transfer over- its not free though- can check it out here http://thestrangeschool.com/
Indie game dev and instructor at the Strange School. Learn Playmaker at the Strange School!

gl0ckage

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Duvet Secrets
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 03:58:26 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

Just a few questions if you are able to answer them:

1. Can playmaker do everything - Colliders, rigidbody etc?

2. I cannot get Playmaker to transition into a "BeingHit" animation when clicked. Same animation plays.

3. Ties to the above question - Do I still need to set up animations in the the animator and create conditions between the transitions?

I am genuinely stuck and confused with Playmaker.

This is me trying to adapt my Flapper game in play maker. No clue what's going on.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 04:09:01 PM by gl0ckage »

mdotstrange

• Can't code? Who cares! Make games anyway!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 03:47:19 AM »
1. Yes

2. From your screen cap it looks like you are mixing up states with transitions- on your mouse down action the send event should be "MOUSE DOWN" not Flagging

3. yes- you can then use the Playmaker Animator actions to control things there- the animator actions are a free additional download found on the wiki
Indie game dev and instructor at the Strange School. Learn Playmaker at the Strange School!

gl0ckage

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Duvet Secrets
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 07:06:21 AM »
Oh thank you, realized my error as soon as you said that :)

Got it now atleast my sprites are moving :)

Onto the background, pipes and character select on the main menu.