playMaker

Author Topic: Is storing data in variables good practice  (Read 1740 times)

Geniraal

• Playmaker Newbie
Is storing data in variables good practice
« on: January 07, 2016, 01:01:13 PM »
Sorry my english in not good but I will try  :-[
Example in my current project is a bluiding with workers in, the equipment can be upgrade to levels. I have Game Data Editor that is supported with playmaker but what is the best practice to store the levels of the equipment like the stove in a FSM variable or must I store everything in external data source.IF the player want to save the game and load again what then stil noob in dev but learning hope you guys understand again sorry for the poor english :-\

mdotstrange

• Can't code? Who cares! Make games anyway!
Re: Is storing data in variables good practice
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 06:36:21 PM »
It really just depends on how much data you have and how you want to handle it-

If you have a lot of data for an rpg like game then you probably want to load the data in externally using something like Game Data Editor-

For saving/loading data you can also save data to playerprefs using Playmaker actions-

If you want to load in a lot of external data using tools inside of Playmaker- you can use xml files with Datamaker- I recently created a tutorial on how to do it here http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=11809.0
Indie game dev and instructor at the Strange School. Learn Playmaker at the Strange School!