playMaker

Author Topic: Prefab and Scene Object Issue  (Read 7745 times)

coxy17

• Beta Group
Prefab and Scene Object Issue
« on: January 06, 2016, 07:24:59 PM »
Hi

I am getting an error when creating a prefab to reference a scene object (which is my character) all of the prefabs talk to my player FSM's. What can i do?

attached screenshot.

Cheers

Nick

jess84

Re: Prefab and Scene Object Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 08:29:31 PM »
I've been getting this too, randomly, since updating to Unity 5.2. :(

It doesn't make any sense, as we're both using a global variable and not referencing a scene object! 

In my case, I have one FSM with 10 actions doing the same thing - but only 1 of the 10 is giving that error.

Things in general are pretty broken in Unity 5.2/5.2 with PlayMaker, even using the 1.8 Beta as recommended. :(    (So many errors on play, not related to my FSMs or setup, but about PlayMaker itself)

jess84

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 08:30:28 PM »
Oh, and to kind of answer the original question, it doesn't seem to actually cause a problem for me when running a build.

coxy17

• Beta Group
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 07:35:43 AM »
Yes I have had the same with two versions of Unity 4.6 and 5.2. It just randomly comes up with it. Dont know what we can do now?

jess84

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 07:31:17 PM »
I've got it to go away by deleting the global variable, and recreating it.  Don't know if this is temporary though.

memetic arts

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 08:41:51 PM »
There has actually been a lot of discussion on this. Here's the official word from Alex Chouls (from June 2013):

"Project assets (Prefabs, FSM Templates, and Global Variables) cannot store references to scene objects. Even if the UI lets you reference a scene object (it shouldn't) the reference will not survive reloading the project. This is a limitation in Unity. I've found a couple of places where the Playmaker UI lets you drag a scene reference into a project asset - this will be fixed in the next update. I'm also adding more feedback in the editor to explain these rules.

"Scene objects CAN reference project assets. So a scene object can store a reference to a template or global variable. You can set a global variable to reference a scene object at runtime."

Here's a link to the full thread where the quote appeared:

http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=7617.0

Bottom line: store references to scene objects in global vars at runtime, works like a charm.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 08:43:34 PM by memetic arts »

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 09:52:03 PM »
The error box is new in 1.8, trying to pre-emptively warn you about scene references that will be lost when you close the project.

Globals are project assets (like prefabs) so cannot save references to scene objects; the reference will be lost next time you open the project. So you need to find the scene object at runtime and store it in the global variable.

If you're seeing a case where the error is shown where it shouldn't be, please double check that the global doesn't contain a reference to a scene object at edit time. If it doesn't and you're still getting the warning, let me know.

I'll double check here also that the error is only shown when it should be...

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 10:07:58 PM »
Things in general are pretty broken in Unity 5.2/5.2 with PlayMaker, even using the 1.8 Beta as recommended. :(    (So many errors on play, not related to my FSMs or setup, but about PlayMaker itself)

I'd love to track these down. What errors are you seeing? Can you submit bug reports so I can repro here?

jess84

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 07:51:59 AM »
The error box is new in 1.8, trying to pre-emptively warn you about scene references that will be lost when you close the project.

Globals are project assets (like prefabs) so cannot save references to scene objects; the reference will be lost next time you open the project. So you need to find the scene object at runtime and store it in the global variable.

If you're seeing a case where the error is shown where it shouldn't be, please double check that the global doesn't contain a reference to a scene object at edit time. If it doesn't and you're still getting the warning, let me know.

I'll double check here also that the error is only shown when it should be...

Nope, it was definitely referencing a global variable. I had 5 states doing exactly the same thing, but referencing different global variables. Only one of which was causing an error.

I deleted the global variable and created it again, and that has gotten rid of the error. I'll add a bug report should it reoccur.

I'll also look at logging the errors on 5.3/1.8 beta over the weekend.

jess84

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 08:00:39 AM »
Is there a way of exporting errors from the console log? Or do I have to copy/paste them individually?

They're mainly things like;

Code: [Select]
get_actions: Fsm not initialized: Null
UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
HutongGames.PlayMaker.FsmState:get_Actions() (at c:/Users/Alex/Documents/Unity/Playmaker/Projects/Playmaker.source.unity/Assets/PlayMaker/Classes/FsmState.cs:548)
HutongGames.PlayMaker.Fsm:Preprocess() (at c:/Users/Alex/Documents/Unity/Playmaker/Projects/Playmaker.source.unity/Assets/PlayMaker/Classes/Fsm.cs:1128)
HutongGames.PlayMaker.Fsm:Preprocess(MonoBehaviour) (at c:/Users/Alex/Documents/Unity/Playmaker/Projects/Playmaker.source.unity/Assets/PlayMaker/Classes/Fsm.cs:1118)
PlayMakerFSM:Preprocess() (at c:/Users/Alex/Documents/Unity/Playmaker/Projects/Playmaker.source.unity/Assets/PlayMaker/PlayMakerFSM.cs:216)
HutongGames.PlayMakerEditor.PlayMakerBuildCallbacks:OnPostprocessScene() (at Assets/PlayMaker/Editor/PlayMakerBuildCallbacks.cs:34)
UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow:BuildPlayerAndRun()

And are all generated when making a build. (if I clear on Unity start-up, they only reappear when I create a new build). It doesn't seem to be affecting my build in any way though.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 04:05:31 PM »
Nope, it was definitely referencing a global variable.

Just to double-check, the global variable's *value* was NOT a scene object?

For the build errors, what version of Unity are you using?
Can you submit a bug report so we get complete system info and can track this issue? Thanks!

jess84

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 05:43:38 PM »

And yes, they were gameobjects that I spawn - they are not in the scene by default, hence wanting to store them as global gameobject variables.

Again, 5 identical states for 5 gameobjects, done in exactly the same one - error was reported on one only.  It didn't occur straight away when creating that FSM, it happened a lot later and without me actually changing anything to do with it.

jess84

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 05:53:25 PM »
Argh. I'm not going to submit all of these errors.

There's 52 of them. I started copy/pasting them invididually, manually into the 'submit a bug' form for Playmaker, got through the first ten then reach the character limit!! (which then leads to more errors in the console "String too long for TextMeshGenerator. Cutting off characters.
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:EndGUI(Int32)"

I give up.

This is what I got from the console before giving up. Sorry I won't be submitting them as bugs, I really don't have time.

Code: [Select]
get_actions: Fsm not initialized: Null
HutongGames.PlayMaker.FsmState:get_Actions() (at c:/Users/Alex/Documents/Unity/Playmaker/Projects/Playmaker.source.unity/Assets/PlayMaker/Classes/FsmState.cs:548)
HutongGames.PlayMaker.Fsm:Preprocess() (at c:/Users/Alex/Documents/Unity/Playmaker/Projects/Playmaker.source.unity/Assets/PlayMaker/Classes/Fsm.cs:1128)
HutongGames.PlayMaker.Fsm:Preprocess(MonoBehaviour) (at c:/Users/Alex/Documents/Unity/Playmaker/Projects/Playmaker.source.unity/Assets/PlayMaker/Classes/Fsm.cs:1118)
PlayMakerFSM:Preprocess() (at c:/Users/Alex/Documents/Unity/Playmaker/Projects/Playmaker.source.unity/Assets/PlayMaker/PlayMakerFSM.cs:216)
HutongGames.PlayMakerEditor.PlayMakerBuildCallbacks:OnPostprocessScene() (at Assets/PlayMaker/Editor/PlayMakerBuildCallbacks.cs:34)

get_fsm: Fsm not initialized: Animate Onscreen
HutongGames.PlayMaker.FsmState:get_Fsm() (at c:/Users/Alex/Documents/Unity/Playmaker/Projects/Playmaker.source.unity/Assets/PlayMaker/Classes/FsmState.cs:483)
HutongGames.PlayMaker.ActionData:CreateAction(FsmState, Int32) (at c:/Users/Alex/Documents/Unity/Playmaker/Projects/Playmaker.source.unity/Assets/PlayMaker/Classes/ActionData.cs:775)
HutongGames.PlayMaker.ActionData:LoadActions(FsmState) (at c:/Users/Alex/Documents/Unity/Playmaker/Projects/Playmaker.source.unity/Assets/PlayMaker/Classes/ActionData.cs:741)
HutongGames.PlayMaker.FsmState:get_Actions() (at c:/Users/Alex/Documents/Unity/Playmaker/Projects/Playmaker.source.unity/Assets/PlayMaker/Classes/FsmState.cs:555)

state.Fsm == null
HutongGames.PlayMaker.ActionData:CreateAction(FsmState, Int32) (at c:/Users/Alex/Documents/Unity/Playmaker/Projects/Playmaker.source.unity/Assets/PlayMaker/Classes/ActionData.cs:783)
HutongGames.PlayMaker.ActionData:LoadActions(FsmState) (at c:/Users/Alex/Documents/Unity/Playmaker/Projects/Playmaker.source.unity/Assets/PlayMaker/Classes/ActionData.cs:741)
HutongGames.PlayMaker.FsmState:get_Actions() (at c:/Users/Alex/Documents/Unity/Playmaker/Projects/Playmaker.source.unity/Assets/PlayMaker/Classes/FsmState.cs:555)

Error Loading Action: Animate Onscreen : HutongGames.PlayMaker.Actions.HOTweenVector3 : start
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at HutongGames.PlayMaker.ActionData.GetFsmVector3 (Int32 paramIndex) [0x0000d] in c:\Users\Alex\Documents\Unity\Playmaker\Projects\Playmaker.source.unity\Assets\PlayMaker\Classes\ActionData.cs:1553
  at HutongGames.PlayMaker.ActionData.LoadActionField (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.FieldInfo field, Int32 paramIndex) [0x00143] in c:\Users\Alex\Documents\Unity\Playmaker\Projects\Playmaker.source.unity\Assets\PlayMaker\Classes\ActionData.cs:988
  at HutongGames.PlayMaker.ActionData.CreateAction (HutongGames.PlayMaker.FsmState state, Int32 actionIndex) [0x00207] in c:\Users\Alex\Documents\Unity\Playmaker\Projects\Playmaker.source.unity\Assets\PlayMaker\Classes\ActionData.cs:903
HutongGames.PlayMaker.ActionData:CreateAction(FsmState, Int32) (at c:/Users/Alex/Documents/Unity/Playmaker/Projects/Playmaker.source.unity/Assets/PlayMaker/Classes/ActionData.cs:908)

Error Loading Action: Animate Onscreen : HutongGames.PlayMaker.Actions.HOTweenVector3 : end
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at HutongGames.PlayMaker.ActionData.GetFsmVector3 (Int32 paramIndex) [0x0000d] in c:\Users\Alex\Documents\Unity\Playmaker\Projects\Playmaker.source.unity\Assets\PlayMaker\Classes\ActionData.cs:1553
  at HutongGames.PlayMaker.ActionData.LoadActionField (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.FieldInfo field, Int32 paramIndex) [0x00143] in c:\Users\Alex\Documents\Unity\Playmaker\Projects\Playmaker.source.unity\Assets\PlayMaker\Classes\ActionData.cs:988
  at HutongGames.PlayMaker.ActionData.CreateAction (HutongGames.PlayMaker.FsmState state, Int32 actionIndex) [0x00207] in c:\Users\Alex\Documents\Unity\Playmaker\Projects\Playmaker.source.unity\Assets\PlayMaker\Classes\ActionData.cs:903
HutongGames.PlayMaker.ActionData:CreateAction(FsmState, Int32) (at c:/Users/Alex/Documents/Unity/Playmaker/Projects/Playmaker.source.unity/Assets/PlayMaker/Classes/ActionData.cs:908)

Error Loading Action: Animate Onscreen : HutongGames.PlayMaker.Actions.HOTweenVector3 : result

Error Loading Action: Animate Onscreen : HutongGames.PlayMaker.Actions.HOTweenVector3 : duration
  at HutongGames.PlayMaker.ActionData.GetFsmFloat (Int32 paramIndex) [0x0000d] in c:\Users\Alex\Documents\Unity\Playmaker\Projects\Playmaker.source.unity\Assets\PlayMaker\Classes\ActionData.cs:1483
  at HutongGames.PlayMaker.ActionData.LoadActionField (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.FieldInfo field, Int32 paramIndex) [0x000c7] in c:\Users\Alex\Documents\Unity\Playmaker\Projects\Playmaker.source.unity\Assets\PlayMaker\Classes\ActionData.cs:972

Error Loading Action: Animate Onscreen : HutongGames.PlayMaker.Actions.HOTweenVector3 : SpeedBased
  at HutongGames.PlayMaker.ActionData.GetFsmBool (Int32 paramIndex) [0x0000d] in c:\Users\Alex\Documents\Unity\Playmaker\Projects\Playmaker.source.unity\Assets\PlayMaker\Classes\ActionData.cs:1519
  at HutongGames.PlayMaker.ActionData.LoadActionField (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.FieldInfo field, Int32 paramIndex) [0x00105] in c:\Users\Alex\Documents\Unity\Playmaker\Projects\Playmaker.source.unity\Assets\PlayMaker\Classes\ActionData.cs:980

Field (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.FieldInfo field, Int32 paramIndex) [0x000e6] in c:\Users\Alex\Documents\Unity\Playmaker\Projects\Playmaker.source.unity\Assets\PlayMaker\Classes\ActionData.cs:976

state.Fsm == null
HutongGames.PlayMaker.ActionData:CreateAction(FsmState, Int32) (at c:/Users/Alex/Documents/Unity/Playmaker/Projects/Playmaker.source.unity/Assets/PlayMaker/Classes/ActionData.cs:783)