playMaker

Author Topic: Database recommendations?  (Read 4020 times)

MarkD

Database recommendations?
« on: February 18, 2016, 01:37:05 AM »
I'm looking to buy a database program for Unity and wondered if any of you have found any that you like and that might have playmaker actions/support for.

Any recommendations?

mdotstrange

• Can't code? Who cares! Make games anyway!
Re: Database recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 02:41:58 AM »
Do you mean something like Xml/Json? So you can load data into Playmaker from external db files?

If so-

Check out Playmaker + ArrayMaker + Datamaker- doesn't cost anything and a much smoother workflow than assets I've bought that use Google Sheets etc-

I did a tutorial for getting Xml into Playmaker with those tools here
Indie game dev and instructor at the Strange School. Learn Playmaker at the Strange School!

MarkD

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 03:06:18 AM »
Thanks!

In my project I've got several AI units that have a few attributes or states that I want to keep track of between sessions.  For example, an AI's position, health points, state of being (alive, dead, captured, etc.), and so on.  When the player leaves the game, I'd like to save all of that and then load it up when the return.

I've never done anything like this before, but I thought the best way would be to use a database type of object that I could have my AI game objects write to at save and then load from on start up.

I'm watching your video now as this seems like it might be what I want!  Thanks for sharing, btw!

ergin

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 03:14:26 AM »
If number of things you want to save is not too much, you can think of using Playerprefs actions to save and load data between sessions. It works great on cross-platform.

mdotstrange

• Can't code? Who cares! Make games anyway!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 03:22:33 AM »
Thanks!

In my project I've got several AI units that have a few attributes or states that I want to keep track of between sessions.  For example, an AI's position, health points, state of being (alive, dead, captured, etc.), and so on.  When the player leaves the game, I'd like to save all of that and then load it up when the return.

I've never done anything like this before, but I thought the best way would be to use a database type of object that I could have my AI game objects write to at save and then load from on start up.

I'm watching your video now as this seems like it might be what I want!  Thanks for sharing, btw!

Ok- the xml stuff in the tutorial is more for loading data in- so lets say you wanted to declare all the stats for the AI agents in one text file and edit it there- then load it all in automatically- the xml workflow I showed would be helpful for that-

For saving between sessions- then you'd want to check out Player Prefs as Ergin stated-

If you are going to use PlayerPrefs I recommend this low cost asset that allows you to see the player prefs in Unity-other wise you can't within pullin them out with code/playmaker actions- makes things much easier https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/7070

If you want a more advanced save the asset Easy Save makes saving/loading game data much easier and has nice Playmaker actions https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/768
Indie game dev and instructor at the Strange School. Learn Playmaker at the Strange School!

ergin

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 03:43:00 AM »
Easysave also have a great option to save these into a web server.

dudebxl

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 09:08:33 AM »
Also if you have no money for Easysave then check out playerprefsX + playerprefsQ (+ Hash actions and/or encryption actions if needed) for saving arrays etc.