playMaker

Author Topic: GUI Layout Toolbar text doesn't update  (Read 2825 times)

pXd

• Playmaker Newbie
GUI Layout Toolbar text doesn't update
« on: February 25, 2016, 06:57:20 AM »
Hi there,

I have made a state with a GUI layout toolbar and populated the text fields with string variables that are updated constantly.

The variables update (as seen in the inspector) however the text labels on the toolbar buttons do not.

The GUI Layout Toolbar action doesn't have an execute on everyframe option so I have it updating using a next frame event action. But still no luck.

I have tried various toolbar button styles, box, label, textField, TextArea, however the text does still not update.

Any help much appreciated,

Thank you.

:o
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 10:01:33 PM by pXd »

pXd

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: GUI Layout Toolbar text doesn't update
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 12:51:32 AM »
BUMP, I really need help on this as my project can't continue without solving this issue. If anyone could offer any ideas I'd really appreciate that.

I have updated the GUILayoutToolbar.cs action file to the latest 1.8.0 beta but still the problem remains.

Zeldag

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 08:09:24 AM »
Not sure if that is the case here, but when I started using playmaker, I kept trying to use the GUI actions on my uGUI game objects.

Lol frustratingly nothing worked until somebody pointed me towards the uGUI action pack which I should have been using (To be honest I still dont know what the original GUI actions that come with playmaker are even for lol).

The uGUI actions can be found here: https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/?W1192

With that it all works lol. Sorry if that is not the problem here.

pXd

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 02:51:34 PM »
Not sure if that is the case here, but when I started using playmaker, I kept trying to use the GUI actions on my uGUI game objects.

Lol frustratingly nothing worked until somebody pointed me towards the uGUI action pack which I should have been using (To be honest I still dont know what the original GUI actions that come with playmaker are even for lol).

The uGUI actions can be found here: https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/?W1192

With that it all works lol. Sorry if that is not the problem here.

Hi Zeldag,

Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately my project is quite huge so it would be a bit difficult to switch the entire ui at this stage...

I'm guessing the GUILayoutToolbar playmaker action file has a bug in it or perhaps it completely missing something in the code so the labels can't be updated as the variables do update.

I will post in the playmaker bugs section... :-\

Thanks

Zeldag

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 08:44:06 PM »
Hi, Sorry, no i just meant that if youre a total noob like me, you may be using the wrong actions on your GUI. But if youre sure you need the GUI actions instead of the uGUI actions then my reply was a totally mute point lol.

(In my project i was trying to set uGUI componenets using the GUI actions, when in fact I needed the uGUI actions, just thought you may be miximg the GUIs up too... Also, I was using the standard GUI that came with Unity)

Good luck with it, I hope a GUI expert comes along soon for you.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 08:46:08 PM by Zeldag »

pXd

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 08:47:37 PM »
Hi, Sorry, no i just meant that if youre a total noob like me, you may be using the wrong actions on your GUI. But if youre sure you need the GUI actions instead of the uGUI actions then my reply was a totally mute point lol.

(In my project i was trying to set uGUI componenets using the GUI actions, when in fact I needed the uGUI actions, just thought you may be miximg the GUIs up too... Also, I was using the standard GUI that came with Unity)

Good luck with it, I hope a GUI expert comes along soon for you.

Ah! I see! Thanks for pointing that out, I had no idea they are compatible. Thanks mate. I will try.

Zeldag

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 09:39:50 PM »
Just so that I am super clear (as i tend to be very unclear often and cause more confusion than help):

I use the gui that you get when you click 'create' above the hierachy and then click 'UI'.

All the GUI actions I used in playmaker did nothing. Then I downloaded the uGUI actions and they controlled the GUI as expected.

So sorry for any previous confusion that I caused and hope this helps or at least doesnt hinder lol...

(also as there is not an exact uGUI toolbar action, that I can find, my replies are probably absoluteley useless to you. Although there are many actions there, im not sure if one of them works simmilarily. Then again I dont even know what the original GUI actions are for as they never worked for anything i tried them on lol... And im rambling again...)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 09:52:51 PM by Zeldag »

pXd

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 01:15:37 AM »
Just so that I am super clear (as i tend to be very unclear often and cause more confusion than help):

I use the gui that you get when you click 'create' above the hierachy and then click 'UI'.

All the GUI actions I used in playmaker did nothing. Then I downloaded the uGUI actions and they controlled the GUI as expected.

So sorry for any previous confusion that I caused and hope this helps or at least doesnt hinder lol...

(also as there is not an exact uGUI toolbar action, that I can find, my replies are probably absoluteley useless to you. Although there are many actions there, im not sure if one of them works simmilarily. Then again I dont even know what the original GUI actions are for as they never worked for anything i tried them on lol... And im rambling again...)

Ah OK I see what you mean now. Thank you very much for the info, I do appreciate your replies!  :D

Basically I just need a way to cleanly layout a set of buttons without manually spacing every single one only to have them not line up if the user changes the resolution.

The Guilayouttoolbar had this problem solved but if I cant update the text labels its kind of useless so perhaps I can layout the string of buttons in uGUI instead.