playMaker

Author Topic: Simple Jump and Double Jump Issue  (Read 6199 times)

slicky-grease

• Playmaker Newbie
Simple Jump and Double Jump Issue
« on: February 28, 2016, 12:26:34 AM »
Hey Guys

I been trying to figure out how to do just a basic jump and a double jump. I tried looking for tutorials, but they haven't been all helpful and I tried to figure it out on my own, but I haven't had any luck. This is what I have so far in the attachments. I don't know what i am doing wrong, but if anyone could help with, I'd be very grateful. I am still new to playmaker and I am getting used to the set up.

mdotstrange

• Can't code? Who cares! Make games anyway!
Re: Simple Jump and Double Jump Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 05:46:17 AM »
When checking for "IsGrounded" the action should be set to "every frame" or else it just fires once- but from the images I don't understand the setup-

They are pressing X to be "grounded"?

Also on the state you are applying the force it will just apply the force for one frame then sit there as nothing is using the "isJumping" transition

Here's some screenshots from a setup I threw together- should give you some ideas

Single jump setup

Double Jump

Indie game dev and instructor at the Strange School. Learn Playmaker at the Strange School!

slicky-grease

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 10:04:30 AM »
Thanks man, this is defintily going to help. But, for just a basic jump like the example you posted, do I need to set up a variable or so, like a float or a bool. I saw you set up a bool in the double jump, but I was wondering if I should do the same for the basic jump.

Zeldag

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 12:12:26 PM »
No expert here, but I think the bool is there only so that you could disable the double jump if you wished to. I think you could remove the bool state altogether and the double jump would just be enabled always and work.

So I think you just need to copy the screenshot for the basic jump and that is it. But you could just setup the double jump anyway and keep the bool false until you do want to enable double jump.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 12:15:34 PM by Zeldag »

slicky-grease

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 10:05:01 PM »
I set it up like the example, but my capsule wont jump for some reason. I dont know what it is that i am doing that is wrong, unless if it has to do with my movement script, because its separate from my jumping mechanic one.

mdotstrange

• Can't code? Who cares! Make games anyway!
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 07:27:53 AM »
As Zeldag said I added the double jump bool so it can be turned on/off- you only would add a bool for the jump if you wanted to start the game without the jump ability then its added later- or you want to perform additional checks to make sure they are really grounded-

As far as the actual jumping goes- yeah that depends on how you are doing it-

I just laid this out as an example of a basic jump/double jump fsm
Indie game dev and instructor at the Strange School. Learn Playmaker at the Strange School!

slicky-grease

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 10:57:48 AM »
Ok, I think this will be a good start, but I do have another question. If I would to have a character fly up in the air for a couple of secs(like Tails from Sonic Adventure) and then fall down would I have to adjust and work with the double jump FSM.

Hashbird

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 11:56:27 AM »
Hi here,

Sorry to bring back this subject but I was wondering which action I can put instead of the "Controller is grounded" for a 2D jump? I have some issue with a basic jump in a 2D platformer...

Thanks !