playMaker

Author Topic: Winner Is Dinner  (Read 3043 times)

KellyRay

Winner Is Dinner
« on: April 10, 2016, 11:27:20 AM »
Hey friends!

Wanted to share the latest app I made.

http://devpost.com/software/winner-is-dinner

Its a simple dinner app. You choose a city. Select two contenders. They duke it out and the winner is your dinner.

This app makes use of the Yelp API database and I relied heavily on Playmaker for the a good chunk of the the interaction. But! Something I feel really good about, because I dived into making my own Playmaker actions, a positive side effect is that I began to learn C#. So I'm happy to report that in some instances I wrote my own scripts! Albeit simple in nature, they made me feel good about this journey. And I made this app in less than 4 weeks.

Zeldag

Re: Winner Is Dinner
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 05:18:40 AM »
Hi,

I really liked it. I though it was a really cool idea for an app and quite fun to mess around with. Ill try to use it next time im arguing with someone over a restaurant to go to lol.

Two issues with it for me though:

- When I type in my post code, it is blank in the text box. It is there, but it appears that either the textbox is over the text or the text is the same font colour as the textbox, probably the latter (or the text is otherwise not visible to me).

When I click enter then the postcode text that I typed appears in the gui, but it is not visible while being typed.

Here is a quick video I made of the issue: (it is not public on youtube, it can only be accessed via the link above) I am using a sony Xperia Z3, but I will try it on a HTC one M8 when I have time.

-(2nd issue)- Im pretty sure there are more resturants in my local area than I get in the search results list. Is it possible you could have a few pages of search results in the future? (or maybe you do and I just couldnt see an obvious way of changing page???)

Then I guess I have suggestions for improvement in the future, although im sure you have your own plans:

Maybe as a way of making it more interactive actually have a 2 sets of a punch and block button, so that two people could infuence the fight if they chose to (maybe make it landscape for this). This woud be great when 2 people are debating which restaurant to pick.

Secondly players should be able to add their own restaurant, one that they know is in the area, but does not appear on your search list. This would make the app usable for more people.

Thirdly and maybe most importantly: Tournament Mode!!!! .  Lol, have all the restaurants in the search list (or a number of chosen ones) battle it out in a dropout style tournament. This combined with players being able to influence the fights (with hit and block buttons) could really make it a fun group game.

Sorry if I got carried away there, but I think it is a real cool fun concept and I got too many ideas after trying it. Hope it goes well with it for you.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 05:31:07 AM by Zeldag »

KellyRay

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 01:58:21 PM »
Hey Zeldag!

Thanks so much for your comments! I really appreciate it. I'll defiantly look into the invisible type.

Some of the things that I've been thinking about is actually limiting the number of choices. Some of the comments I've been getting back is that its one kind of small to see, but too ten is a bit overwelhming as they still have to make two choices and the point of the app is to help you choose.

Something to add to this though might be a categorty chooser. Instead of just searching for food, I want to try my hand at attemtping a scrolling list for all the possible categories from yelp.

I'm super glad that you liked the app! I had a lot of fun making it :)

KellyRay

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 02:00:07 PM »
Oh! I forgot to add that its now on iOS as well!

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/winner-is-dinner/id1097220052?mt=8