playMaker

Author Topic: CrimeLord  (Read 10970 times)

sandEboy

• Playmaker Newbie
    • GraspTech
CrimeLord
« on: April 16, 2016, 10:25:30 AM »
I'm working on a multiplayer open world game. Think I can pull it off?

GTA V was good but I think they put a lot of emphasis where it wasn't necessary and neglected the basic elements that's supposed to make a game entertaining. Which is why, even though it has so much in it as a game, it still comes off as ultimately boring.

My idea is to capitalize on this, making a minimalistic game which focuses less on share content amount and the unnecessary aspects, instead capitalizes on the basic elements that makes a game fun and worth playing for a long time.

https://grasptech.wordpress.com/
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 10:31:11 AM by sandEboy »

Zeldag

Re: CrimeLord
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 12:43:36 PM »
Hi,

I really hope that you can do it, despite the natural skepticism I feel inside.

How far along are you? It is going to be a huge task regardless...

Are you making everything from scratch, rather than buying some assets and models to work with? Nice screenshot if so, but is anything more done- like any gameplay?

Good luck with it and keep us updated!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 12:45:49 PM by Zeldag »

sandEboy

• Playmaker Newbie
    • GraspTech
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 01:35:51 PM »
I just posted a new update with gameplay footage. Check it it out  :)

https://grasptech.wordpress.com/2016/04/16/update-2/

sandEboy

• Playmaker Newbie
    • GraspTech
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 01:40:18 PM »
Also, I understand the skepticism.

Zeldag

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 02:21:49 PM »
Sorry I guess skepticism was a wrong choice of words, probably brought on by your mention of GTA ;)

After reading your 'about' section, it seems much more scalable lol (like no story mode etc.). But still it is a huge job to get it finished and done right and make it fun...

Looks nice so far. Good luck with it, ill keep an eye out.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 02:26:12 PM by Zeldag »

sandEboy

• Playmaker Newbie
    • GraspTech
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 02:27:48 PM »
Glad you like it. Cheers  :)

PlaymakerNOOB

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 12:10:09 AM »
From the description, I had pretty low expectations.  However that video changed me.  Its pretty solid for its proof of concept.

While I understand you dislike solo campaigns, another way to look at it is... You have can people play campaign while your waiting to get X number of people together to play multiplayer.  Give them something to do while waiting for more people, ya know?  Im not saying focus exclusively on it, but it has a role (even if its pretty simple)

You can make it simple.  Your an underling for a big crimeboss and your doing his dirty work and getting the glory.  Work in some double cross moments, turf wars, etc.

sandEboy

• Playmaker Newbie
    • GraspTech
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 09:43:53 AM »
As you probably realize the project has been dead for a while. Lack of support and encouragement basically drove it to the ground. I put in the work and tried to build a fan base, even spending money here and there to achieve that, but as far as I'm concerned, no one is interested or seem to think I can pull this off.

I want to thank the VERY few supporters that I did have, namely Zeldag, who helped out a lot in anyway he could, my cousin with a little funding and encouragement and a friend on fiverr. That's basically it.

sandEboy

• Playmaker Newbie
    • GraspTech
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 10:04:43 AM »
As an individual, I do have my perks and also my weaknesses. My strength lies in my cognition and out of the box thinking, ideas and concepts. I'm also somewhat excellent when it comes to modelling, as you've probably noticed through the demo. I've been able to whip up fully playable demos in 23 days before, in essence it is no miracle for me to accomplish what I set out to.

My weaknesses however, is manpower. Even though I can do, basically everything there is necessary to complete this game... If I were to really do everything, it would take tons of time. I don't mind conceptualizing, modelling and scripting but I do have a problem with, yes... you guessed it. Texturing. It's a daunting task and I hate it. I hate polishing assets in general. Unless I'm going to go full mudbox projection painting on this, which I honestly can't afford. Even then would I still have to browse the web searching for reference and images to use as textures.

My other weakness is level design, I don't mind whipping up a few weapons, vehicles, props or characters in 10, 15, 20 minutes each (literally) and UV mapping them. I'm yet to come to a conclusion of how to design and UV map any form of building or architectural structure. I use blueprints a lot for all my models, but save the floor plan, there are no blueprint for buildings.

This is in all honesty.

sandEboy

• Playmaker Newbie
    • GraspTech
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 10:34:02 AM »
Also, upon suggestions to narrow down my scale, I shifted my focus to this...

• Beta Group
    • Flashing Lights
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 10:36:11 AM »
Hey sandEboy

you can do this! It will take time, but if you just follow your own path you will achieve results. Don’t listen to that you will never do it by your self, I get that A LOT, believe me, but as a side project working on it for couple of years it starts to shape in to something I wanted (check my signature for the link, also working alone).
And in nowadays with assets available and system packs you can work with it is pretty possible! Don’t worry about props and stuff, make the gameplay and it will evolve by it self, that goes for fan base too, only like 1/10 subscribe (or even less) or give you a shout, especially at the beginning.
I find your char controller amazing, so close to GTA series, keep up the good work!
And regards the texturing you mentioned, forget about it :D for now, maybe can do in minimal style (example).

So just keep it up regardless what others say, believe your self! Good luck ;)

sandEboy

• Playmaker Newbie
    • GraspTech
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 11:08:02 AM »
You're work looks good, thanks for the encouragement.

Raknill

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 09:53:29 PM »
I like it! My initial reaction was honestly, "this guy is taking on way too much", but reading on it looks like you've chosen your battles wisely (eliminating a story mode, focusing purely on the interactions, etc.).

Following the blog, looking forward to seeing your progress.

sandEboy

• Playmaker Newbie
    • GraspTech
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 10:19:03 AM »
From the description, I had pretty low expectations.  However that video changed me.  Its pretty solid for its proof of concept.

While I understand you dislike solo campaigns, another way to look at it is... You have can people play campaign while your waiting to get X number of people together to play multiplayer.  Give them something to do while waiting for more people, ya know?  Im not saying focus exclusively on it, but it has a role (even if its pretty simple)

You can make it simple.  Your an underling for a big crimeboss and your doing his dirty work and getting the glory.  Work in some double cross moments, turf wars, etc.

Sorry I'm just seeing this. You are absolutely correct and I do plan to capitalize on that.

GrumpyGameDev

• Playmaker Newbie
  • I make games
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2020, 11:36:08 PM »
Any updates? Curious what's happened to the project since the link to WordPress no longer works :(