playMaker

Author Topic: Start Over or Fix?  (Read 1757 times)

Mark S

• Playmaker Newbie
Start Over or Fix?
« on: April 03, 2016, 12:16:15 AM »
I tried to create a prefab from another prefab, but forgot to "Break Prefab Instance" before dropping the instance on the new prefab. Now collisions are no longer detected, updates to the prefabs are no long showing up in the game (whether I update the prefab directly, or create an instance, break, edit and apply changes). It's effected a couple different objects. I've tried creating new ones from scratch with the same problems. I've insured the tags are all correct. I've spent days trying to get it to work normally again. Is there a fix or do I need to completely scratch the project and start again? Thanks in advance.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Start Over or Fix?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 02:15:41 AM »
Hi,

That sounds bad enough to start over :)

I usually don't spend too much time when I realized I messed up a prefab... I simply start from scratch, without deleting the old prefab, I just copy paste to avoid having to rethink everything.

However, I am very surprised on the problem it causes. Are you positive the problem is not elsewhere, maybe tags and layer are playing tricks on you with collisions? I don't see why a messed up prefab would not catch collisions, it seems unrelated. Can you describe how you are catching collisions and how it should happen?

Bye,

Jean

Mark S

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 10:12:04 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I'm not using layers yet. The build is pretty simple at this point. I am using tags and I've confirmed they are correct many times. I had spheres that would spawn then move towards the player. If the player is hit by a bad sphere they would itween shake. If good sphere hit the player they would spawn another sphere they could use to shoot things and their score went up. Regardless, I think I will start over.

I'm confused what you meant by, "I simply start from scratch, without deleting the old prefab, I just copy paste to avoid having to rethink everything."

Did you mean their is a way to copy the build with everything except the prefabs into a new build, so I can avoid rebuilding everything except the prefabs?

Thanks again

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 02:39:51 AM »
Hi,

no no.

Simply when you recreate your prefab from scratch, I don't delete the old one. I use it to copy past fsm content from the old to the new one, it also helps me setting it properly with all the possible property values etc etc.

Bye,

Jean