playMaker

Author Topic: Particle System Speed Action Problem  (Read 3249 times)

mTruly

• Junior Playmaker
Particle System Speed Action Problem
« on: April 21, 2016, 07:22:57 PM »
I have a particle system with an FSM on it.  Inside the FSM are two states, each containing a Particle System Speed action.

The start state has a particle speed of 0... so the particles are created inside a cone emitter but do not move.  The second state has a particle speed of 1.

In another FSM... I have a Send Event which tells the above FSM to transition from state1 to state2.  Visually, this all works... the event is sent and transitions to state2.   But the particles speed does not increase... the particles do not move.

I have tried with 'Every Frame' checked and unchecked... it makes no difference.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

Budde88

Re: Particle System Speed Action Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 04:22:27 AM »
Maybe if you attached your FSM as a .png we could help you out.

mTruly

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 10:55:46 AM »
Here's some screengrabs illustrating the problem.

Thanks!

dudebxl

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 05:16:32 PM »
It's in your setup somewhere.. do a debug.

i just tested the action (i made it) in U5.3 w/ PM 1.8 and it works (with everyframe on i can control the speed in-game, no problem).

mTruly

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 12:17:01 PM »
Thanks very much for the info!

I was able to make it work in a blank project so something must be wrong with my main project.  Will have to dig deeper once I get some other issues resolved.  Will get back to this.

Thanks again.

mTruly

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 04:20:51 PM »
Unity 5.3.4f1

OK, back to particles speed.

In a simple Unity scene with a particle system with an FSM on it and a single action - Particle System Speed...

If I have the Particle System 'Start Speed' set to 1 and in the Particle System Speed action I have the 'Speed' set to 5... when entering game mode, the particles move at a much faster rate (5 vs 1) as expected/desired.

But if I have the Particle System 'Start Speed' set to 0 and in the Particle System Speed action I have the 'Speed' set to 5...... when entering game mode the particles don't move at all.  I would have expected them to move at the speed of 5... just as before.

If I have the Particle System 'Start Speed' set to .1 and in the Particle System Speed action I have the 'Speed' set to 5...... when entering game mode the particles move at some slow rate and it isn't 5.  I would have expected them to move at the speed of 5... since it seems like the Particle System Speed action should be totally controlling the speed.

Is the Start Speed and Particle System Speed not the same thing?  Should I have the Start Speed set to a particular value to get consistent results?

The Start Speed is definitely influencing the Particle System Speed in some way.

Thanks for any ideas!

dudebxl

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 10:52:43 AM »
yeah the start speed is different than the action which uses particleSystem.playbackSpeed. Copy the 'Particle System Speed' action (and rename) and change in code all  particleSystem.playbackSpeed  to   ParticleSystem.startSpeed then you now can control the start speed. Make sure your start speed is not a curve.. When i have some time, i will build a proper action for this..

mTruly

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 11:25:28 AM »
Thanks very much for this info!

I will give it a try.

Thanks again.

mTruly

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 01:55:00 PM »
I copied and edited the script but it doesn't really give me the visual results I need and I'm not sure I understand what it's doing so for now I'm sticking with the Particle System Speed action.

Thanks again.