playMaker

Author Topic: Playmaker Errors Issue [SOLVED]  (Read 6597 times)

mTruly

• Junior Playmaker
Playmaker Errors Issue [SOLVED]
« on: April 24, 2016, 12:31:32 PM »
I was trying to install the Shuriken package into my project (the package was already installed but I was trying to make sure it was all installed so I installed it again.  There were several items checked in the Import dialog so it appeared it wasn't all originally installed).

When it did the compiling of scripts part... there seemed to be some errors thrown.  (As I examined the assets folder structure, it seemed different where the Shuriken folder was down in Playmaker Custom Actions but was also present in Assets).

When I closed the project and tried to re-open it... an error message said 'can't load layout... load default layout?', etc.  I loaded the default layout.  I went to check the layouts and my custom layouts were still listed.  But if I try to load one of the layouts... Unity goes *PooF* and I have to restart it again.

Any idea how to fix/avoid these types of problems?  (Attached is a screengrab showing the errors).

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 03:32:56 PM by Alex Chouls »

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Re: Playmaker Errors Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 12:48:23 PM »
It looks like the package might need to be updated. Jean will need to take a look at that...

You could try deleting the Playmaker Utils directory and re-importing the package to make sure you don't have old scripts. BACKUP your project first!

The layout issue is probably related. Any errors in the project can stop other editor scripts from compiling. If those scripts are part of an editor layout, you won't be able to use those layouts until the errors are fixed. (Of course Unity shouldn't crash, but it happens!)

mTruly

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 01:05:03 PM »
Thanks for the ideas!

I tried deleting the PlayMaker Utils folder and then re-importing Playmaker but the message said 'Nothing to Import, all assets from this package are already in your project'.  I would have thought it would recognize the PlayMaker Utils folder was not there so would try to import that.

So I've restored the PlayMaker Utils folder for now.

Will keep trying to clean this up.

Thanks again.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 02:59:32 PM »
Playmaker Utils will be in an add-on package. It's not part of the main Playmaker install. Try deleting and re-importing the add-ons...

mTruly

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 10:16:55 AM »

What package makes the Playmaker Utils?  I can't seem to find it.

I think the problem is bigger than that.  I now notice that not only are the errors above shown but the Playmaker item is missing from the main menu.  I have been through the steps in the troubleshooting but can't get the Playmaker menu item to return to the main menu.  Now there are many Playmaker related errors thrown because I don't think Playmaker itself is installed properly.

Any additional tips for getting PM it'self cleanly installed again?

Thanks!

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 10:32:04 AM »
Any errors in the project will stop Unity from compiling other editor scripts. Playmaker can be installed fine, but if there are other errors in the project Playmaker (and any other editor scripts) will not compile. If, for example, you are still referencing add-ons that you have not re-imported then the project has errors, and Playmaker will not compile.

You need to work your way through the errors, starting at the top. Fixing one error often fixes others. The path in the log should tell you which file the error is in.

Can you post the first error you see?

Also try installing Playmaker and add-ons one at a time in a new project so you can get an idea of what's in each package. It will probably make it easier to figure out what's broken in your project.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 10:34:02 AM by Alex Chouls »

mTruly

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 11:14:01 AM »
Thanks very much for the ideas!

I've gotten it partially sorted.  I've got PM itself re-installed and the PM item back on the main menu.

Here's what I did.  I opened a new scene in the same project.  I created a folder called Assets_OFF (outside the Assets folder).  I moved each PM related folder into Assets_OFF.  All the errors went away since now there was nothing looking for PM stuff.

I went to the Asset Store and imported PM again.  It did the first compile and the PM menu was added to the Main Menu.  The Welcome Menu appeared.  (I didn't realize that installing PM is actually a two part process.  When you have imported from the Asset Store... you haven't actually installed PM yet.  You then have to use the Welcome Menu to do the actual install and choose what version of PM you want).  So now, PM itself is installed again.  I then installed the Ecosystem and it works.

So then I started to move the other PM related folders back over from the Assets_OFF folder to the Assets folder.  I moved the PlayMaker Animator folder over and it started compiling scripts and then threw the attached Ecosystem related error.

The Ecosystem is installed and working so I'm not sure why this would error.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 11:16:12 AM by mTruly »

mTruly

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 12:35:54 PM »
Sigh...

I don't suppose there is any place where all the PM variables are stored?

I have PM installed and working fine again.  As I open up my real scene... I get lots of errors about missing variables, etc.  When I select an object with an FSM on it and go to look at the setup... it is complaining about missing variables.  When I go to look at the variables tab... there is exactly one variable listed.  All the other variables are gone.

Is there any way to recover the previous variables?

Thanks!

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 12:52:19 PM »
Assets\PlayMaker\Resources\PlayMakerGlobals.asset stores all global variables. Were you using global variables?

Were you just trying to install the Shuriken package? I feel like maybe you're changing too many things in the project in one go...

I assume you still have the original project?

Try reverting and just deal with the Shuriken package import. We'll deal with any problems with that first, before updating Playmaker etc.

mTruly

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 01:35:48 PM »
Thanks for the ideas.

I need to rant for a minute.

Unity is like a house of cards. It is unlike any other app I've ever used and extremely fragile and stupid in the way that it defines a 'scene' file and 'the project'.

If I am using any other app (let's use 3dsMax as an example) I am working along on my 'project' and MAX automatically saves backup MAX files every five minutes (or at whatever interval I choose).  These MAX files contain the entire project... they are only dependant on the MAX app and plugins.  I myself, save MAX files every ten minutes or whenever I feel like and at most, I loose 10 minutes of work if the machine crashes and the scene file becomes corrupt and won't open.  No big deal, I just re-start MAX and go back to work on my scene using one of the many backups.  I don't have to re-install or re-build the app itself and then try to piece together my scene file.

In Unity, the scene file doesn't contain the 'whole enchilada' and so any changes over in the project folders can hose the entire work effort and cause massive headaches trying to recover from this.

As such, the only way to be truly safe is to backup the whole 'project' by copying the massive folder structure each time you want to do a backup.

Anyway, enough ranting... thanks for listening!

I have a backup of the entire Unity project but it is a couple of days old and I would like to not have to redo that work so I am trying to rebuild the current 'Scene'/'Project' setup.

Playmaker is once again installed and working fine but on my real 'scene' file, all the local and global variables seem to be gone (there is one local and one global variable listed in each FSM).  I realize now they were probably stored in the Playmaker>Resources folder.

(*What would be really nice here is since all the variables one creates to use with Playmaker are so critical... it would be great if they could automatically be backed up outside the Assets folder (it is the Assets folder that is really like the house of cards) so when the user was having to rebuild the frick'n app again and accidentally removed the variables, they could be easily restored).

So let's assume that in my backup project... the variable info is intact.

How do I get the variables from the backup project to the wacked project?

Thanks again.

mTruly

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 01:46:54 PM »
Another thing I wish I'd done now was to name my variable names with either a Local or Global in the name so there would be a way to tell what kind of variable I would need to recreate.

Right now, it says missing variable 'animation_name' and I can't remember what kind it was.

Thanks!

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 02:41:08 PM »
If you have a PlayMakerGlobals.asset that you want to keep in the new project, then you need to merge in the globals from the old project:

- In the old project, use PlayMaker > Tools > Export Globals
- Copy the Assets\PlayMakerGlobals EXPORTED.asset file to the new project
- Open the new project, use PlayMaker > Tools > Import Globals

If you don't care about the globals in the new project you should be able to just copy the globals asset over.

If you need to move a scene over, export it in a unitypackage and import it into the new project. Just be careful about pulling in lots of unwanted files with Include Dependencies.

I'm looking at doing some kind of automatic backup in the future. However, version control really is the way to go, especially with Unity and it's interconnected asset structure. With version control you can see what files have changed, you can revert changes, roll back to old versions, branch to try something out etc.

mTruly

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 03:21:06 PM »
Thanks again for the ideas.

I've got it all sorted now.  Before seeing your answer, I renamed the wacked project PlayMakerGlobals.asset (to back it up) and then just copied over thePlayMakerGlobals.asset from the backup project and since no new variables had been created since the backup... all variables are present once again and there are no errors.  And now the backup is current again too.

Yes, I think you're right that version control is needed... I need to look into that.

Thanks again!

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 03:32:42 PM »
Cool. Glad you got it sorted.