playMaker

Author Topic: Just to be sure: PlayMaker doesn't work with the Unity animation system?[SOLVED]  (Read 5701 times)

PolyMad

I'm trying and trying, legacy animations etc., but there seem no way to use the damn animation clips from Unity. Is this true?
In case, the only way to work with PlayMaker and animations is to use the imported ones from the model importer of Unity?

Uhhh I'm sorry, maybe this should go in the help section...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 02:29:24 AM by jeanfabre »

mdotstrange

• Can't code? Who cares! Make games anyway!
If you want to use the "Animation" system which is the Unity legacy animation system you would use these animation actions

If you want to use the newer "Animator" system you would download and use the Animator actions
Indie game dev and instructor at the Strange School. Learn Playmaker at the Strange School!

PolyMad

Ye I fought some hours but the Play Animation command... there's no way to make it work. I marked the animations as legacy etc. no way.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
I just tried it here and it works. Here's what I did:

1. Animate an object in the Animation window, saving an animation clip.
2. Replace the Animator component with the Animation component.
3. Add the animation clip to the Animation component.
4. Select the animation clip and put the Unity Inspector into Debug mode.
5. Change the animation clip Animation Type from 2 to 1.
6. Add an FSM and use the Play Animation action to play the animation clip.

Steps 4 and 5 are required to mark the animation as legacy.

Note, the default Unity workflow now uses Mecanim Animators. When you create an animation clip it automatically adds an Animator component instead of an Animation component, and the animation is setup to work with Animator. You have to jump through some hoops to work the old way with the Animation component...

PolyMad

Unity debug mode... don't even know what that is... however, I'll proceed using iTween at the moment, I can proceed with the rest of the game without animations.
I'll dig deep into the animation system later on, thank you.
Is there a way to use the mesh blending?

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Here's how to set legacy mode for animations created in Unity. It's an animated gif, click on it to see it...

EDIT: Recorded that gif in Unity 4.6. In newer versions there is a Legacy flag in the Debug view. Still the gif shows how to enter Debug mode :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 11:49:15 AM by Alex Chouls »

PolyMad

OK, great, thank you! :)

kziegler786

• Playmaker Newbie
There are so many other application are available for the unity animation system.windows,rotating door,opening door are very easy method for creating  simple animations.it is not sure about playmaker does work with the unity animation system.

PolyMad

The Unity animations system is pretty good for some things, it allows to animate ANY parameter of any object with curves.
I can decide how to open a door in a very detailed manner, like in example beginning slowly, then accelerating, then bouncing back at the end.
And the Unity animation system is there already, and free.