playMaker

Author Topic: Missing Game objects, FSMs, and States [SOLVED]  (Read 2350 times)

Nog

• Playmaker Newbie
Missing Game objects, FSMs, and States [SOLVED]
« on: May 22, 2016, 11:19:23 AM »
Hello,

This morning I opened my Unity project (I just clicked on the desktop icon like I always do), and I quickly discovered that I was missing game objects, various FSMs, and state machines. I checked that the scene was correct, and it was correct. I worked on the project last night and everything seemed fine. I clicked Saved Scene in the File menu like I have always done, and I clicked Exit in the same menu, and I shut the machine down. I received no crash messages or system issues, and there are no errors listed in the Unity console.

The strange thing is I backup on a total of four hard drives (creating a new backup folder and copying the project file over to the backup folder), and all of the backups reflect the exact same situation.

It seems like I am missing over a weeks worth of work, but I know for a fact that last night (and the previous nights before) that everything was fine. I have several FSMs that depend on game objects, and they would not have worked at all if they were not there. I know the game objects, FSMs, and systems were all there last night.

What happened? Why are the backups missing data too? Why would the project be missing game objects, FSMs, and State Machines this morning, but it has worked fine through out the week? I am using Unity 4.6.1f1 and Playamaker version 1.7.7.f6.

Thank you,

Nog
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 10:50:01 AM by Alex Chouls »

Nog

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Missing Game objects, FSMs, and States
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 01:25:44 PM »
I thought I might have accidentally copied an old project over itself when I was about to perform a backup, but Windows would have notified me that I was about to copy over an existing folder, and I am pretty sure I would have picked up on that.

What I do not understand is how all the backups are also missing chunks of the project. I do a backup of the project at least every other day. My dates on the files and folders state that I worked on them a day or two ago. However, the scene file states that it was saved over a week ago, but that can not be right.

I am very uptight about saving as often as possible, and I know I saved the file last night, but it says otherwise, and the scene file was all there last night. 

mdotstrange

• Can't code? Who cares! Make games anyway!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 04:53:34 PM »
If all your backups have the same issue then maybe your Unity install got corrupted? Doesn't sound like its a Playmaker specific issue-
Indie game dev and instructor at the Strange School. Learn Playmaker at the Strange School!

Nog

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 11:59:58 PM »
Thanks for the reply mdotstrange.

I tested the project on a different machine with a new install of Unity, and it did not fix the problem. I am not sure what happened. That is very disappointing. Oh well.

Nog

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 06:05:42 AM »
I found out the problem. I had opened one of the backup projects on another hard drive a while back, and I started using that as the main project instead of the project that I thought I was working on from the main drive. As a result, I was doing backups on a project that I had not opened in almost two weeks. The reason why I did not catch it is because I was looking for recent backups. This project was weeks old, but it was actually the latest version. I must have been using it for a while, and I did not notice it.

Thanks mdotstrange for your help.

Nog

mdotstrange

• Can't code? Who cares! Make games anyway!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 06:33:20 AM »
Awww thats a bummer  :(

I hope you were able to recover some of your work.
Indie game dev and instructor at the Strange School. Learn Playmaker at the Strange School!

Nog

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Missing Game objects, FSMs, and States [SOLVED]
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 04:50:08 PM »
Everything appears to be right where I left it. I just did a file search, and I located the correct scene that I was working on.  :)