playMaker

Author Topic: how to send messages to other scenes?  (Read 2570 times)

TheJWB

• Playmaker Newbie
how to send messages to other scenes?
« on: June 18, 2016, 08:03:05 AM »
Hi , I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to send events & set variables in a scene other then the current scene. Eample : say you have a level scene with a list of ready to spawn prefab characters that the player can choose from at the title scene. So the player chooses an option on the from a list of gui buttons and each button changes a variable or calls a function on the next scene ? How is usually done? i understand how it works in an already loaded and running scene I just saying how do call changes from one scene to another? Setting a top score that is remembered by another scene  is another good example???

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: how to send messages to other scenes?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 12:04:10 PM »
Hi,
You can use global variables they can be accessed in the other scene and they will only reset when the game has quit

playerprefs you can us to save things and load them any time, even when the game has been quit.

playerprefs is easy to hack so for (for example) high scores i would suggest an asset called easy save

but to remember setting for keybinding for example playerprefs is fine

TheJWB

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 07:48:45 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to reply. How can playmaker be used to save a game & reload it?

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 08:07:05 AM »
Hi,
you can do that with playerprefs action but it is easy to hack

better option would be getting "Easy save" or "Smooth Save for PlayMaker"

Both have playmaker action, but i only used "easy save" but that one is more expensive

Crableg

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 08:55:06 AM »
I have a similar question and don't really want to start a new thread, if i have a "score" global variable, and when you lose the game it loads the lose screen and displays "you scored XX", but how do you save what the "score" variable was at the point when the level was lost?

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 01:49:03 PM »
Hi,
for testing you can use playerprefs set int / float  to save it in a key
and playerprefs get int / float load from a key

But to release your game the better option is getting "Easy save" or "Smooth Save for PlayMaker"

easy save has actions like load int / save int with a protection key