playMaker

Author Topic: Saving Score + Highscores  (Read 1529 times)

Crableg

• Playmaker Newbie
Saving Score + Highscores
« on: June 22, 2016, 05:41:24 AM »
Hi

In my current prototype i have 2 types of "score" variables, one is the actual score (how many "waves" you have survived), and the time taken. When you lose the level is loads the lose scene and displays "You got to level XX in XX seconds!"

I have the gameplay and score counting all working, all i need to do is save both score variables at the point when the level was lost, and then display it on the lose screen.

Must this be done using playerprefs, or would something like Easy Save be required ? I would prefer to achieve this just using playmaker and not having to buy another asset.

Furthermore, if i wanted to then implement a highscore table, can this be done with just playmaker?

Thanks!

Zeldag

Re: Saving Score + Highscores
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 05:05:55 PM »
Hi,

It is my understanding that you can do this with player prefs (it is easy, just get the actions and have a look at a tutorial if playing around doesn't do it), but people suggest buying the easy save asset as it somehow encrypts your saved data and keeps it secure from hackers.

So I've heard someone say that while playerprefs is fine for saving settings and such, for high scores you would want the security of easy save.

Then again until you start implementing online high score tables and such it won't really matter if it gets hacked...

(Also if you just want the score to be accessed in another scene without exiting the game, then you can just use global variables. Playerpref / easy save is only really necessary when you want to save the score and shut the game down, then load it when you return.)

Also I have no idea if my info is still in date, as playerprefs may be able to encrypt by now?

Good luck with it and hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 05:11:17 PM by Zeldag »

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Saving Score + Highscores
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 05:13:42 PM »
Hi,
Also I have no idea if my info is still in date, as playerprefs may be able to encrypt by now?
Your info is fine

Playerprefs will probably never have a kind on encryption.
It is mend to save preferences.