playMaker

Author Topic: CCG Game Like. Need help, information.  (Read 4015 times)

Mooga

• Playmaker Newbie
CCG Game Like. Need help, information.
« on: June 24, 2016, 07:47:03 AM »
Hello I'm an Artist and I know very little scripting, i have done games in the past but not alone and of this scale. Wondering if you kind people could help me here, atleast tell me some start.

I'm trying to do a CCG Strategy Game where you have:

Multiple Characters which can play certain limited cards. The player has to create a party with those characters and then use a card with each character to finish a turn, the other player does same then the resolve based on card effect. It repeats until cards are over and other character lose life.

Also has cash shop, daily, rank, pack open (basically what you have seen on heartstone, duealyst, etc...)
Also its for mobile and its on a network probably photon?

I'm just wondering if its possible to do with play-maker alone for "core game", even if its quite difficult, or would I require some outer code? 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 07:50:08 AM by Mooga »

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: CCG Game Like. Need help, information.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 04:10:06 PM »
Hi,
Yes it is 100% possible to do with playmaker,
Heartstone is made with playmaker (see playmaker showcase)

If you understand the logic's from the you are already  half way :)

Mooga

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 11:47:25 AM »
Yeah, I know Heartstone used Playmaker to make it easier for Artists to do all the bling and blang. But was wondering if they also used it to make the game mechanic and stuff. Like Calculations, %, random and stuff.

That is what I was wondering. For a Programmer point of view I think using playmaker doesnt bring much to the Portfolio thats why I'm trying to do this with another artist. xD

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 11:59:19 AM »
Hi,
i do not know if they used 100% pm on their game but i know that calculations, animations and anything else is very possible in PM

For a Programmer point of view I think using playmaker doesnt bring much to the Portfolio

I do think pm can be very useful and speeds up a lot of processing and testing.
I program myself and i could not live anymore without PM

The great thing with pm is that it also can connect to scripts,
so if needed you can use both worlds.

Mooga

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 09:58:08 AM »
Hey

Thanks for the feedback.

I will try and see how can I work with it.

I can always ask you guys some help i hope! :P

Cheers

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 02:24:33 PM »
Hi,
The forum is very active and friendly :)
and you can join our discord channel

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 03:12:48 PM »
Hi,

Yes, HearStone is not a 100% PlayMaker project, but I will say that indeed you can achieve a lot, and I'll simply explain the likely process you are going to get involved in.

You'll start with no knowledge of Scripting, and you'll be working your way into building everything with PlayMaker. After a while, you'll gain more and more understanding of the inherent logic of programming, because, as it may not seem, but by using PlayMaker, you are learning some important development principle, which means that after a while, looking at a script will make sense, and you'll be able to actually understand. Then will come a day, where you'll be actually up to write your first custom action, it will be simple, and we'll help you along the way to understand what you are doing, and learn.

Then, you'll likely reach a point of no return where you'll embrace PlayMaker and scripting together and make the most out of both ways of programming.

the key to your journey, is not to want to do your ultimate game first, you'll need to learn, and that means learning via tutorials and samples that may not seem to fit exactly what you want to achieve. PLEASE do them anyway, absorb knowledge and learn as much as you can on as much various topics as possible. You'll be able to cross reference patterns and various technics very quickly and extrapolate on a sample or tutorial you did, and apply it to your specific needs. Then it will be time for you to tackle your ultimate project. Meanwhile, you need to cut it down into smaller pieces and learn them separatly.

As for data management. I would consider using dataMaker, which lets you work with xml, and that could be a good start, and a viable alternative to a proper database.

https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/?W1133

Mind you, there may be no scripting involved, DataMaker takes time to get acquainted, so here again, you need to be aware of the learning curve, and not give, ask us questions, over and over until you understand it properly.

Bye,

Jean