PlayMaker News > General Discussion

Performance issues in iPad

<< < (2/3) > >>

qholmes:
Would it have to do with the Batched groups having too many Tris and Verts?

My model was not intended for Realtime when i built it so i know that i need to optimize it but i just need some kind of guideline as to why i am getting these results..

It could be that i need to stay away from the Mobile shaders and just use optimized and grouped objects?

Q

jeanfabre:
uhm, You should contact the unity support directly or hope someone with great experience on this answers on the forum.

as for me, I have to deal with similar issues alot, and I simply state in bold when I sign the specification that the models WILL HAVE TO BE rebuilded and optimized, and that it will come at a expense, because going over a CAD export and optimize generally takes longer than what you are actually suppose to do with it...

I can recall ( I am talk crap tho) that somehow the way faces are described against the vertices list can affect performances, for example, I could have 1000 vertices in my mesh definition yet, there could be only 1 face, maybe they overlap perfectly, maybe with vertices not used by the face list at all. stuff like can really turn down performance, and is a common thing when you export from CAD.

Have you opened it in a soft like 3d s max before? going from CAD to fbx might also be the problem, try to export as a different format ( find one that exist both in the CAD soft and max), open it in max and then export in fbx.

Bye,

jean

qholmes:
Well i built these quite a while ago but i found the drawings done in Autocad so that was very good.. I had them in 3ds max already and that is where they came from actually..

But i tried a few new imports at a lower resolution into Max and they still look pretty good and i should be able to cut the faces down to maybe a third i bet.. I did the doors already and took them from 23k and 28.5k to 4.5k and5.5k   so that is a really good start. And i will group a lot of static same material objects too.. i was just going to be lazy and get Unity to do that but it seems there is something up with that.. I think there are limits to the face size of batches and my iPad hit its limit.. So i will just hope that optimized geometry and custom made groups that are not so big will help.

I might do a test this week to see with groups of objects if i can find a batch limit.. They do talk about that in the Manuals.

Thanks for looking and taking the time Jean!!

Q

qholmes:
Even with a basic scene my ipad 2 only seems to get 33 fps.. is that normal? Well not a simple scene but when only simple objects like a basic menu are on screen..

I did a lot of rebuilding and batching and i am now up to 26 fps with no AA and 22 with 2x AA not too bad.. I still have some rebuilding to do.

Q

jeanfabre:
Difficult to say without testing really. But yes, optimization is key once again.

the way I approach optimization was to create a flexible scene doing the following:

nothing on screen, nothing and every 10 sec I had an object. and so on until I see how it starts getting bad. I arrange them in array so that the do not overlap, AND I animate their transform ( it does change the perfs, if you animate or not, so always animate, and nothing set to static.

Then you run that app, again and again, with different materials, mesh optimization. It is tedious, but was the onl approach I could find to gain the experience I need to provide suitable visuals with good perfs.

Only change ONE thing at a time between builds. this is crucial, if you change the mesh adn the mat, you won't know which one had a real effect on the perfs change.

The biggest hurdle we had was actually texture size ( pixel perfect intensive sprites animation, and menus on top of 3d), and scene loading with memory leaks. The mesh and materials caused problems but it was on ipad 1 generation, it went away on ipad2

You need to really bake as much mesh details as you can into a normal map. This require great skills on your 3d soft like max or maya to generate them properly and accuratly, but you'll gain tremendous perfs by just having box with great textures.

For example, check the substance pod tutorial on the asset store and check how much details are backed on the normal map. I know that sama.van on this forum has such skills, contact him, maybe he'll have  experience on this and be able to help out possibly.

bye,

Jean

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version