playMaker

Author Topic: Playing Unity Animations with Playmaker  (Read 6520 times)

JLawton

• Playmaker Newbie
Playing Unity Animations with Playmaker
« on: November 06, 2015, 07:15:30 AM »

I'm trying to create some training material, showing the correct procedure for valve replacement. We're an engineering office and despite creating visualisation material in Unity, we've never created anything interactive like this before. We also don't have much coding experience in the office, so Playmaker seemed like a godsend (especially as we got it free with Unity 5 Pro through Level 11).

Anyway an essential part of the training is animation. I've not used playmaker to animate, as i've done some animation in Unity itself previously. So to animate a model, I move the model to its start postition and create a key, move it to its end position and do the same, then create keypoints inbetween to make the model move as intended.
To get this to then work in Playmaker I then seem to have to go into Debug mode and turn the animation clip into a Legacy animation. I can then use the Play Animation action in my FSM as part of a sequence and it seems to work ok... sometimes. I've had some wierd problems where animations don't play at all, or they play it a totally different position in the scene.

The animations being legacy also seem to be disassociated from the model, so if I want to make any adjustments I have to untick the legacy box and reattach the .anim to my model.

So i've decided to ignore the legacy option and try to use the Animator state machine to play my animations in sequence using the Animator transitions. This also seems like it will do the job, except I don't seem to have any control over when they play. The just play as soon as I hit the play button, so I have a crazy mess of animations all playing at once repeatedly. I've even tried creating a motionless Idle state on a loop as the default state, but this seems to only play once regardless.

All I want is for Playmaker to play an Animator sequence once, every time I call for it in my FSM, but without using the dodgy legacy mode this feels impossible and i'm rapidly losing hair with it.

Other than using Playmakers own animation system, which is not out of the question, though i'll have to begin again with animating. Can anyone offer any guidance? I've tried Unity forum and Playmaker forum searches, but all my searches havent been relevant or want me to code which i'm trying to avoid.

Thanks

James

terri

• terrivellmann.tumblr.com
Re: Playing Unity Animations with Playmaker
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 08:16:33 AM »
Have you gone through these? https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/animation/animator-component?playlist=17099

You can then use these actions to control things with Playmaker: https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/?W1031

JoeW

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Playing Unity Animations with Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 12:36:09 AM »
Just because I ran into this and found something that works (the new animator controls in PlayMaker - as of 1.8.1 don't have any direct playback controls AFAIK) - what I did was use the "Set Animator Speed" action - set it to "0" and then to "1" when you want to play the animation.  Seems to work pretty well, even if it does feel a bit hacky....