playMaker

Author Topic: 2 characters moving together in 3d in Playmaker  (Read 2269 times)

case3

• Playmaker Newbie
2 characters moving together in 3d in Playmaker
« on: August 06, 2016, 11:09:16 PM »
Hi, I have come up with an idea for a 3D game and was wanting to know if what I have planned is possible before I start making the 3D models.
I want to have two characters with the ability to separate them to a certain distance with tapping one side of the screen then put them back together by tapping the other side of the screen so on and so forth. So they move in sync but there can be a distance between them or not. I hope I'm making sense. Thanks.

case3

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: 2 characters moving together in 3d in Playmaker
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 02:22:54 PM »
Ok, so I have started watching the videos on this website and reading the manual. I haven't come across any indication that my idea is possible, so if any one knows if it is, it would be much appreciated. Also, I decided that, one tap on the screen anywhere could be used to activate or deactivate the character being either next to or apart from one another. If my idea made no sense, I think another way to describe it would be to think of the 2d games where two player move together then jump then return...like that but it is 3d so they don't jump to avoid spikes/gaps etc they move apart. Thanks.

kavery

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 03:03:45 PM »
It's likely very possible. Like any game mechanic it'll require a unique set of logic to achieve what you're after. It may take weeks to sort it out or even months if you are new at it, lots of trial and error.. you have to get familiar with all the actions and techniques as you keep exploring to find the best solution.

Your description is kinda vague.. a little general as a question. But if the question is just to get an opinion on viability.. then i'd say heck yea it's possible. These mystery endeavors take a lot of patience and faith though. You may doubt a lot but if you keep going you'll keep getting closer. Getting the general mechanic to work is step 1, getting it bug free is an even bigger step and might mean revising your original method.   

Zeldag

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 03:08:54 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Your idea is certainly possible with playmaker.

Many far more conplextasks have been achieved with it. You may need to sit through some unrelated tutorials and then when you have some basic knowledge you just try to put it together. If you have any specific issues doing it, then someone can help you out.

That is because there are loads of ways to do it.

For example if you make one character just controlled with a regular controller, you could have a navmesh agent on the other character following one of a number of objects that are parented to the first character. So when you tap, the second character goes to the child object that is far away from the first character- if you tap again, the character returns to the child object next to the first character.

But as i said there are many ways to do it, just sit through some tutorials until you understand some basic logic and develop an idea of how to make the basics of movement and such, then work on your dual character system. Then when you have a half working system, you can ask more specific questions and we can provide more appropriate help to your setup.

Good luck with it, it can be annoying to learn the basics when you have a great idea you want to get to, but learning is a big part of making anything ;) .

case3

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 08:08:48 PM »
Hi,

Kavery: Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I know my description is some what vague but I'm still working on the idea. I just was wanting to know if it was possible because I didn't want to make all the assets just to find out I couldn't go though with making one part of my idea.

Zeldag: Thanks,

yes, I realise I would be best to learn some general techniques first, before trying to make my idea. I will take your advise and watch tutorials to learn some basics beforehand.

I tend to get ahead of my self, but I really didn't want to be in the position of starting an idea I can't finish.

I will start with the basics then when I get stuck on something (or on something in the tutorials) I will ask here on that specific thing. 

Anyway, I better start learning now :)