playMaker

Author Topic: basic 2D sprite motion (not player controlled animation) [SOLVED]  (Read 2360 times)

Nikolasio

• Playmaker Newbie
Hi,

After a trigger event I want to show a simple 2D 'animation' (e.g. main character fires off bazooka at target/target explodes).

The playmaker tutorials from Christopher Orth seems the way to go ( Importing sprite sheets, body parts already positioned per frame in a drawing app, and then iterating through the following sprites.

1. But for a simple 2d animation, I suppose you could also just import the different body parts as different sprites and then move them separately with animate vector3 actions iterating through following positions.
What would be the dis/advantage of this method?

2. I want the player to be able to swap between different sprites, so for reskinning the main character, what would be the best solution?  Is 2d toolkit a good plugin for that?

3. The unity mecanim animator seems a pretty nice system too.  But making 2D  animations with it and then importing them as animations in playmaker seems a bit farfetched.  Or is this more stabile? Or less performant memory wise?

Happy to hear some opinions,

Cheers,
Nikolasio

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 08:49:59 AM by Nikolasio »

cwmanley

Re: basic 2D sprite motion (not player controlled animation)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 02:50:17 AM »
1. I think animation is a lot less expensive than animating with code in most cases.

2. I'm not sure about the 2d toolkit, if you can afford it buy it and learn from it.

3. Mecanim and Playmaker work together.

Maybe the video predated Mecanim's 2d support.

Nikolasio

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: basic 2D sprite motion (not player controlled animation)
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 03:41:59 AM »
Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

Yes indeed I think of making (even the simple) animations in playmaker/mecanim.
For importing the sprites I will go with 2dtoolkit workflow.

About swapping the sprites, making a bone structure and then using this single sprite action: http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=7797.15 seems like a plan.
Any tips there?

Grtz
Nikolasio

Nikolasio

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: basic 2D sprite motion (not player controlled animation) [SOLVED]
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 08:51:06 AM »
For me the questions are solved!:)