playMaker

Author Topic: change speed of controller movement w/gravity turned off?  (Read 3396 times)

amaranth

change speed of controller movement w/gravity turned off?
« on: April 11, 2012, 08:26:20 PM »
I've found that if I use [Use Gravity = OFF] and [Controller Move] with my character controller, I can ignore gravity, but I've not figured out how to change the speed of movement. Any ideas? I've tried adjusting [Character Motor] speeds, but with no luck.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 09:01:41 PM by amaranth »

justifun

• 1.2 Beta
Re: change speed of controller movement w/gravity turned off?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 04:27:28 PM »
Try using "controller simple move" instead, and adjust its "speed" value

amaranth

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 09:00:12 PM »
I can't because controller simple move forces you to use gravity. Any other ideas?

So far, it appears that the only way I can adjust speed using Controller Move is by changing my X and Y coordinates to larger and smaller values. This is obviously a problem because I don't want to limit how far my monsters can and can't go.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:05:37 PM by amaranth »

amaranth

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 09:50:38 PM »
Wanted to bump this. Maybe there isn't a way to do this?

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 11:46:54 PM »
Not sure I understand... Why not just multiply the movement vector by a speed factor:
https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W416

Saputo

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 06:36:26 PM »
I tryed that and it didn't work, i'm having the same problem as well, in a top view for a 2d game cant use grav. b.c then the char wont move.

MrMitch

• Rage Quit Games - Coming Soon
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 08:38:05 PM »
This is a basic setup that will allow for controlled movement and is easy enough to setup BUT it leaves you with no collision on the object you're controlling even if you have a collider attached, so it means you can move through other objects but trigger events should still work.

You place 4 objects around your player character and make them children of the player.
In your movement FSM you tell it to move towards one of the objects when a certain movement key is pushed(w for example) and towards the other objects when other keys are pushed(A S D for example)

You can place as many objects as you like for different movement and you define the speed by how quickly the player moves towards the objects and because they are children of the player they will always move with the player making it act like controlled movement.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 04:36:21 AM by MrMitch »