playMaker

Author Topic: Samsung Gear VR  (Read 6249 times)

Dan

• Junior Playmaker
    • Personal Site
Samsung Gear VR
« on: August 01, 2016, 08:32:44 PM »
I am just settling in to learn playMaker and I have no coding experience. The VR platform that I'm targeting is the Samsung Gear VR. I would like to know the items to consider before beginning development, as it relates to playMaker.

I will head over to the Android section soon and learn what I can about using playMaker on mobile. However, if anyone has come across VR specific items, or best practices, that would be helpful before I begin scripting. I'm mostly trying to put together guidelines before I get in deep and then later find out I should have done things differently.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Samsung Gear VR
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 04:12:07 AM »
Hi,

For VR projects, your main focus will be the User experience and Interaction with the UI and world, which is not really related to PlayMaker per say. the other big thing will be optimization and realistic look and feel of your point of view, object scale, camera point of view, etc, which is critical for a true immersive experience that feels right.

The first thing you'll need is likely the interaction with UI like buttons, and for this I created a sample on the Ecosystem which implements a Gaze system, that if you stay long enough above a button it will be clicked.

https://twitter.com/JeanAtPlayMaker/status/746280207510831105

Then, I would simply go for it and when you struggle for a particular feature, simply shout on this forum, maybe a few custom actions will solve the problem or some tricks and you'll be progressing that way. It's difficult to give a general set of advice because each projects are so different that it's best to narrow down on very small and isolated problems and then build up from there.

Bye,

Jean

Dan

• Junior Playmaker
    • Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 01:29:40 AM »
Cool! I appreciate the guidance and Gaze system. Thanks!

play_edu

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 12:52:57 AM »
great

sagarnil-tansom

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 03:45:44 AM »
Gaze sample is not working on gear vr, the gaze point is not visible neither it is intractable with the buttons

VrNoob

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 05:37:18 PM »
Cool! I appreciate the guidance and Gaze system. Thanks!

Dan, Did you get anywhere with the Gaze system? i have tried it with unity 5.5.x and playmaker but cant seem to get it working, constant errors.

Dan

• Junior Playmaker
    • Personal Site
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 09:37:31 PM »
Unfortunately, no time to work on it. My employer is getting 97% of my time; I need a new job  :)