playMaker

Author Topic: Need some help with 1st project (top-down tactical rpg)  (Read 1213 times)

Vajrajina

• Playmaker Newbie
Need some help with 1st project (top-down tactical rpg)
« on: November 29, 2016, 09:27:08 AM »
Hello Amazing people.

I am a first year HND video game design student in the UK. We study Unity with playmaker as part of our course and I am tasked with building my first prototype by 16th of December.

Many of my classmates are trying to get away with simple endless runners, but that does not inspire me a lot and I would much rather sink some more effort into something more interesting. I am working on a simple top-down RPG with some tactical, team managing elements. For my prototype I just want the core mechanics in place.

At this moment in time there are 2 things I can't figure out in Playmaker:
1. How can I bind mouse wheel up/down to up and down movement? I have created an empty called camera controller and parented the camera to it, I bound wasd to control it in a wasd fashion and I also built some invisible walls around my test scene to limit it's movement to the actual scene, but I couldn't figure out how to create up-down movement.

2. This one is a bit more complicated: I am trying to set up a drag-and-drop style control for my characters. So the idea is that you click on a guy, whilst holding down the mouse button you drag the cursor to where you want him to move and when you let go a little radial wheel appears that lets you select an ability to use once that guy moved into that position.

How do I do that? :D

The idea here is to create a system where you can assign 'complex' commands to a character quickly and efficiently to reduce the amount of APM you will need to play the game. After you 'drop' you create a waypoint, the character will start moving towards that waypoint and once he makes it to that waypoint he will then use an ability you wanted him to.

For example, one boss is attempting to use a powerful spell in a large area that would murder your wizard. You click the wizard, drag-and-drop a waypoint for him away from danger, AND after you set this waypoint, the radial menu comes up (which is meant to be small and lightweight) you select 'fireball', then you click the area you want him to strike with said fireball. This means that you, in the space of 2 seconds got your character out of harm's way and also made sure he will retaliate once it's safe.

I know that this can potentially be a very 'ambitious' task for my first project, but I want to press myself to prevent lazyness. I also think I would be more productive if I strived towards something that inspired me, rather than to chose the easy way.

Any help and advice will be very much appreciated! Our teacher encourages us to seek help from forums in case we need some guidance, so I am being a good boy here and hoping he was correct.

Thank you!