playMaker

Author Topic: Can't get the movement of my characters to run perfectly smooth!  (Read 2668 times)

zackspak

• Playmaker Newbie
Hey everybody! Still a bit new to all of this, but I've been working on my first game for a few months. I keep having one main issue with my game (it is a simple game where guys and meteors run across the stage and you need to hit all the meteors but not the guys).

I simply cant get all of my characters, especially the meteors, to run perfectly smooth. The choppiness isn't too overwhelming, but they do kind of get jittery for moments and it affects gameplay a little bit. I JUST WANT IT SMOOTH. Lol.

The issue used to be worse, but once I put in a TargetFrameRate (60) action, the whole thing got a lot smoother. At first I thought this completely cleared it up, but nope. Still getting the jitters. Is there anything I can do?? I've spent countless hours trying to fix the darn thing. Once I get it to run smooth, I can move on to adding more characters and features, which is all I want to do =)
This is running on an ipad btw.

Here's a quick video of what im talking about:

https://vid.me/diwc

Thanks in advance for any help!!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 03:44:54 PM by zackspak »

kavery

Re: Can't get the movement of my characters to run perfectly smooth!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 11:08:43 AM »
Hilarious game BTW.. I dunno, looks kinda smooth to me? Maybe you're discerning too hard? Maybe playing with timestep.

zackspak

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 07:57:17 PM »
Thanks kavery, glad you like the game!

I will play around with timestep. Thanks for the help. Also, I have had the thought that maybe I am just discerning too hard, lol. I just want it to be perfect =(. Like I said, it doesn't affect the game play too bad so maybe it's just something I'll have to deal with. I'll let you know if timestep helps at all. Thanks!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 01:25:03 AM »
Hi,

ok, first thing, how do you move them around, it's important to explain accuratly how you do so that we can propose other solutions.

- are they physics object?

Bye,

Jean

zackspak

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 03:54:59 AM »
Hi jeanfabre. Thanks for the response.

My objects have rigidbodies and I am using "Set Velocity 2d" to move them across the screen. As to whether or not they are physics objects, I don't have a thorough understanding about what this means, but I would say yes because they have rigid bodies?

Does this help you to help me? Should I be using something other than "Set Velocity 2d" to move them?

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 02:01:56 AM »
Hi,
how are you doing the animation?
If they are sprites, you can test your animation without moving to see if the meteor stays in position.
It seem to me that the sprite positions is not sliced properly.

Another thing that might be possible is that you have drag and are using "Set Velocity 2d" every frame..

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 02:06:52 AM »
another possibility .
Are you creating and destroying the meteors?
try checking the profiler if you get pikes which might drop the framerate.