playMaker

Author Topic: Checking percent of level completed  (Read 1934 times)

case3

• Playmaker Newbie
Checking percent of level completed
« on: February 01, 2017, 06:33:23 PM »
Hi, I'm not even sure if this is possible in Playmaker but if it is I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to figuring it out? I am after a way to display how much of the level has been completed when the player dies. You see it a lot in "impossible" style games. So basically I want to know from point A to point B when the player dies before reaching point B (the end of the level) how much percent they reached. Thank in advance.

elusiven

• Debt we all must pay...
Re: Checking percent of level completed
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 05:30:04 AM »
You could setup colliders as "checkouts" and then when player runs through them you could use trigger to get that info. The last collider he touched would be the last part of the game he achieved or something..

terri

• terrivellmann.tumblr.com
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 06:10:30 AM »
If you have a float variable that corresponds to the end of the level, and one that matches where the player is at, you could use Float Remap to easily convert it into a percentage.

Fat Pug Studio

• Beta Group
    • Fat Pug Studio
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 09:01:00 AM »
It all depends how your level and game are set up. If it has fixed duration, it's simple. If not, you can add a to anything in your level to add up to the percentage or to represent the percentage itself. It also depends on how precise do you want it to be.

Once again, if you could tell us more about the game, the more helpful we could be.
Available for Playmaker work

case3

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 10:58:53 PM »
It all depends how your level and game are set up. If it has fixed duration, it's simple. If not, you can add a to anything in your level to add up to the percentage or to represent the percentage itself. It also depends on how precise do you want it to be.

Once again, if you could tell us more about the game, the more helpful we could be.

Hi, thanks for the responses.
To answer the question about more  detail about the game: The game is going to be a simple arcade game in 3D where you have to get to the end of the level while collecting items and avoiding things. The character/object moving is moving constantly. As for the level design, the idea is inspired by recent game "rolling sky" and the old game "sky roads". It will be made for touch devices so the controls will be touch.

On a side note:
Right now I am in the process of watching a tutorial course I brought off "Udemy" it doesn't teach the style game I'm doing but I hope to learn from it some commonly used things, I brought Playmaker ages ago when it was on sale but didn't start using it till recently so I have a lot to learn. It's nice to know that people here are willing to help.