playMaker

Author Topic: Do FBX animations work(Newbie)  (Read 1593 times)

pocket3d

• Playmaker Newbie
Do FBX animations work(Newbie)
« on: May 23, 2017, 08:23:32 AM »
 :o
Hi all. I have yet to do anything with playmaker. I'm trying to watch tutorials and read about it but i was wondering because in the manual it said "animations have to be legacy"  ...do FBX animations work?  That's the only kind i have. they work in mecanim  but I believe legacy is and older system or something right?
or am I wrong?

pocket3d

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Do FBX animations work(Newbie)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 04:01:26 AM »
I guess what I'm asking is do I have to make animation FBX into Legacy type? or Humanoid type? The pages i read from the manual seem to all say they need to be legacy .   But i read legacy is the old system before mecanim.

So i don't know. can someone explain? Thanks

tcmeric

• Beta Group
Re: Do FBX animations work(Newbie)
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 06:50:59 AM »
FBX is the file format, which contain either legacy animations or newer mecanim animations.

For mecanim animations, they can be generic or humanoid. This depends on how your character or animated object is rigged.

All of this is handled by Unity, not playmaker. Therefore you need to watch tutorials on mecanim for unity to understand how all this works.

What playmaker does, is triggers animations/ animation states. Ie, it can act is a animation controller, telling unity to do what/when. It can work with both mecanim and legacy animations. As long as the animation can work with unity, playmaker can handle it.

Here is a fairly extensive tutorial making your own third person controllers with playmaker:
Many people use unitys built in third person controller, or first controller. If you need something specific, sometimes people buy assets that are first or third person controllers. Making the entire controller from playmaker is probably not the recommended approach for many people/beginners, because you still need some good knowledge of unitys animation system/controls, etc.