playMaker

Author Topic: Polling solution  (Read 1749 times)

TonkRogerio

• Playmaker Newbie
Polling solution
« on: August 22, 2017, 12:57:30 PM »
I'm not that versed in pooling and I'm not sure if I can post here about this but I'm just looking for advice on what polling solution to buy if possible.

I'm under the impression that polling works as follows. you poll like 6 items for example and those 6 items get used instead of the engine creating new items or w/e. I get that but the problem i have is that the items i'm looking to poll will have stats. think of a menu for example. would polling be useful for scroll view? Because I'm getting a lot of lag in scroll view.
But then the menu pieces need to have data and keep that data every-time the menu is opened again. how will that work if the same 6 items are polled?

Any help here is greatly appreciated. I've looked at some assets in the asset store but I'd rather know exactly how they will help me with my specific problem before I spend my money and realise it might not even work or something.

thanks again.

tcmeric

• Beta Group
Re: Polling solution
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 01:27:14 PM »
I havent had a chance to finish editing my video, but I made a youtube video for this. I go over setting up a pooling manager (spawner and despawner), cover gameobjects, sounds and particle effects I think.

I should have it posted to my youtube channel in the next few days. In the meantime, I suggest pooly as the best solution (and the one I use in my tutorial video). Price is right, its easy to use, it comes with a playmaker instruction video (short and less detailed than mine but it will get you started) and the dev has been responsive. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/82941

Pooled objects need to be the same object. Ie, 10 of the same enemy, sounds, particle effects, etc.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 01:28:58 PM by tcmeric »

TonkRogerio

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 01:34:07 PM »
I appreciate the fast response and I've heard of the specific asset in question. It's one of the ones I've got in mind. but your post didn't address the specific issue I'm interested in.
Will your tutorial address this issue? Do you know if the asset in question has a solution for the specific issue or is there something else I'll need to do?
I'm not a programmer so I might be doing things completely different too. Any help here is welcome. thank you.

EDIT:- I thought of posting a picture with my setup. it might help.

https://puu.sh/xgHSv/8a68fb0ae8.png
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 01:38:41 PM by TonkRogerio »

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 09:42:09 PM »
Pooling takes the place of create object (from prefab) and destroy. Are you creating many objects from prefabs during runtime and then destroying them? If not, then maybe its not pooling you need.

TonkRogerio

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 06:35:59 AM »
this is what I'm looking for. I thought this was pooling but I'm not sure.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 03:17:00 AM »
Hi,

I would also consider this: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/36378

Bye

Jean