playMaker

Author Topic: Replicating retro games in Unity and Playmaker  (Read 1383 times)

cdutoit

• Playmaker Newbie
Replicating retro games in Unity and Playmaker
« on: September 05, 2017, 07:19:02 AM »
Ok, looking for some creative brainstorming and ideas here. While this isn't a *specific* playmaker question, I'll ultimately implement it in playmaker.

I was hoping to get some ideas on how you would go about implementing (replicating) the Nintendo Game and Watch games. For those of you old enough to remember and have a good trip down memory lane, they were these handheld games:

https://gameandwatch.ch/en/game-watch-information/all-60-games/539-fire-rc-04.html

They would just light up the predefined spots - there isn't any physics in play here.

They seem perfect to implement in Playmaker given the state machine design.

My question is what would be the preferred implementation style. I can think of possibly superimposing a 2d grid. Other option is to use sprite animation and physics...but that may introduce a variability into the game play.

Ideally, I'd be interested to create the basic framework such that any kind of the same type of game can be implemented.

Thoughts?

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Replicating retro games in Unity and Playmaker
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 12:38:44 PM »
Hi,
For the retro style no physics
for movement use set positions for each position
as grid based would not be so interesting because in this kind of games the movement is also not exactly grid based
Then for animation use swap sprite for each position

if movement on the other type games have the same amount of movement you an easily change the images and the positions to swap.

if different amounts it can still be done but you would need some bool to check if a move is active or not.

So that you could use as a basic framework for the movement.

Maybe a retro and a physics based version would be nice,
For example when you hit a certain score, enable the modern version(physics based)