playMaker

Author Topic: Android data storage  (Read 4595 times)

steve

• Playmaker Newbie
Android data storage
« on: November 25, 2014, 04:02:11 PM »
Is there a Playmaker action to empty the android data storage?

I'm using playerprefs to save 4 floats in my Android App, which should have minimal storage requirements. However, when I look at the data storage on my test devices, both the Data and Cache figures increase each time I run the App. I'm guessing that the cache is increasing due to Ads (not sure what else it could be), but I didn't expect the Data figure to increase. It's currently at 5mb and rising and I'm wondering if it's caused by one of the 3rd party plugins I'm using for Google Play Services and Ads, etc. Until I can identify the fault I thought a temporary work-around would be to empty the storage and re-save the Playerprefs at the end of each game.

Thanks.

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
Re: Android data storage
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 01:57:11 PM »
Is there a Playmaker action to empty the android data storage?

I'm using playerprefs to save 4 floats in my Android App, which should have minimal storage requirements. However, when I look at the data storage on my test devices, both the Data and Cache figures increase each time I run the App. I'm guessing that the cache is increasing due to Ads (not sure what else it could be), but I didn't expect the Data figure to increase. It's currently at 5mb and rising and I'm wondering if it's caused by one of the 3rd party plugins I'm using for Google Play Services and Ads, etc. Until I can identify the fault I thought a temporary work-around would be to empty the storage and re-save the Playerprefs at the end of each game.

Thanks.

There's no way four floats could bloat your data.
Your app stores a lot of other stuff too.
A lot of the data needed to run it would end in the cache.
A high quality ad would really weigh a lot even if it's meant to be erased after being viewed (but it would usually be replaced by another one rather immediately). If you have both an interstitial and a rewarded video, that's already two pieces of video content to be stored at any given time on the phone, but I never got any problem with this.
Most apps I've seen always eat lots of resources, there's not much you can do about it aside from installing an app that purges the RAM and eventually force stops some apps.

Are you encountering warnings or performance drops on your Android testing device?