PlayMaker Feedback > Feature Requests

Variable Editor and Variables Exporter/Importer suggestions

<< < (2/3) > >>

jeanfabre:
Hi,

I don't think there is a technical drawback, it's just a very bad design pattern, that's all and the PlayMaker interface is not suitable for handling so many of them, as it's not supposed to work this way ( doesn't mean it should not be improved for clarity, etc etc).

bye,

Jean

Fat Pug Studio:
Hi guys,

i just wanted to say i listened to you, i deleted all but most important globals and made about 20 hash tables for storing data and cross referencing. To avoid fiddling with globals, i use Easy Saves 128-bit encryption. So there's really no need for any kind of globals exporter.

I know it can be made more efficiently, with a few xml/json files, but step by step :)

jeanfabre:
Hi,

Excellent! yes xml/json is the next step, but don't rush it, just go along with hashtables, it;'s already a massive improvements right there.

for json vs xml, make sure to choose wisely, xml will allow you to use xPath which is a extermly powerful way to access data within Xml, something Json can not do, but json takes less size for the same data.

Bye,

Jean

Gustav:
Hi Jean,

I would like to know, how you use XML in your own projects. You create a XML file and fill it with the needed data. After that do you implement this XML file in the unity app and parse it every time it is running? Or do you load the XML one time a change was made and convert it in another format for further use at runtime? I have the feeling parsing a big XML all runtime isn't the best way. But I have no clue.

Or do you use a XML for an at runtime populated database?

Fat Pug Studio:
I'm quite a noob for using xml in game design, but i reckon it would be cool if it could use some sort of nested structure like class inheritance. Something like this:

<EnemyType>
   <EnemyType1>
      <Weapon>Blaster</Weapon>
      <Armor>Adamantium</Armor>
      <Sprite>image.png</Sprite>
      <EngineAnimation>Animation.anim</EngineAnimation>
      <LocalWeaponPosition>(x,y,z)</LocalWeaponPosition>
   </EnemyType1>
</EnemyType>

I suppose you could get data on either runtime or populate some sort of data structure like array or hashtable and then draw data on runtime.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version