playMaker

Author Topic: Can't see FSMname when using Get/Set Property on an FSM Component  (Read 2841 times)

Codybean1

• Playmaker Newbie
When you use Get/Set Property on an FSM component, it will tell you the object the FSM is a component of, but it won't give you the same of the FSM. This can make programming very confusing if an object has multiple FSM components as you can't tell the difference between them when using Get/Set Property. The ability to see the FSMname when accessing an FSM using these methods would greatly improve workflow.  :)

Fat Pug Studio

• Beta Group
    • Fat Pug Studio
Re: Can't see FSMname when using Get/Set Property on an FSM Component
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 12:03:47 PM »
I'm with you on this one, it could really be handy! I was having a situation with lots of gets/sets today (2-3 per state) and i was really losing what was where.
Available for Playmaker work

Gustav

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 12:05:59 PM »
That's true.

For the moment I would edit the title of the action and append the name of the targeted FSM for example.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 12:12:18 PM by Gustav »

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 05:29:23 PM »
Hi,
Just a notice, you should always try to avoid using get/set properties actions.

You can find many custom actions on the Ecosystem

Arnoob

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 08:10:26 PM »
Hi Djaydino!

Just for the record, why should we try to avoid them? I find this action very useful when you need to get or set a value on a particular component from an asset for example...

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 08:03:24 AM »
Hi,
Get/Set properties are slower than dedicated actions because it needs to do more things to get what it needs.
Also you need to use Linker Wizard to connect them else they tend to break when making a build.

The actions are designed for accessing 3rd party components that don't have Playmaker support.
Many asset that are used by many users have actions inside their asset or are shared on our forum.

And you can always request custom actions :)

Arnoob

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 10:14:20 AM »
Great answer thank you! :-)

(I guess I should be good then, I mainly use it to tell some post process asset like segi or NGSS what light to use or to change its parameters, so not at every frame)

But you are right to remind me about action request, I have one to request right now! :-D