playMaker

Author Topic: Variables switching without any warning!  (Read 2552 times)

Arnoob

• Junior Playmaker
Variables switching without any warning!
« on: November 18, 2017, 08:19:34 PM »
Hello every one!

I have experienced a bug lately. I am using Playmaker 1.8.5.f8 on unity 2017.2.0p1.

At two different times, on two different FSMs from unrelated gameobjects, multiple values have been switched on the FSMs on some of my prefabs. I am 100% that it isn't a manipulation issue.

For example, some actions where using a particular float, and eventually during a test, a big strange behaviour will happen out of the blue. I try to understand what did cause that, and finally find that it come from a FSM that I didn't touch in several days. I look it in detail, and find out that a completely irrelevant float is used on several actions (and in different states!)!

It happened for the first time last week, and I didn't really minded it. But it just happened again and made me waste a good hour to find out what was wrong. The altered FSM hadn't been touched for several weeks, and was working perfectly two hours ago.

Sadly I can't really provide anything more concrete to investigate the issue (no console log, no crash report...). But it's really bugging me. I really hope that it won't happen again because that's a serious threat for any project right now...

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Re: Variables switching without any warning!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 12:41:21 AM »
Any chance you could share the project where the variable switching happened? PM me if possible.

Did it happen on prefabs or prefab instances?

Thanks,
Alex

Arnoob

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 06:01:44 AM »
It happened on the prefab itself, and therefore affecting any instance of the prefab (I do a lot of pooling). Also the undesired behavior provoked by the modification of the FSM was persistent across tests.

Sadly I can't share my project, it is about 60+ Gigs big...

Maybe I can send you the template itself that was provoking the bug, but I doubt you could get anything out of it as these FSMs are heavily interdependent with others as well as the animator and game-objects and materials... (The first FSM to have this bug was the one handling the HUD on my character, and the second was handling a weapon behavior, and I already fixed them moreover).

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 09:27:24 AM »
Hi,
Maybe you could make a video of the issue instead?

or make a backup and strip some parts from it so Alex can try to repo and find this issue.

Just to let you know, it is save to share your project with alex (you can pm him with a link and a password to access)
Without it it is a lot harder to find bugs.

Arnoob

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 10:17:14 AM »
Thank you for the response!
Yeah I pretty much figured that it would be complicated to investigate when it happened :-/

I will wait for it to happen again, then make a copy of the flawed FSM and get the unchanged FSM in my backup and send them both.

It's really hard to spot as it really happens silently and unexpectedly (well I don't know what made it hapen both times). But I'll keep an eye on it :-)