playMaker

Author Topic: GetComponent FSM in JavaScript & Update Broke My Character Animations.  (Read 2717 times)

iPetProjectDev

• Playmaker Newbie
OK.. I had a perfectly working AnimationController set up in PlayMaker ... then I went to the asset store and there was an upgrade. I wondered if the LookRotation action was there. Nope. Couple of vague warnings in the console with no errors. Hit play and my animation will not play. It transitions from state to state as it should but the animations are dead now. So I tried disconnecting or reconnecting the prefabs. Resetting all the animation fields and reconfiguring the order..every trick i could think of. It just is not targeting the critter animations any  more. And it isn't picking up the current Velocity variable either from another Fsm. Double and triple checked the GetFsmFloat and it was set correctly.

When running through the event triggered states every action would fire and go green EXCEPT the PlayAnimation action. This did not occur prior to 3:30 today. I did nothing after the update to alter it when it would not run though i have done many things since then and none worked.

This is frustrating because the fellow that is paying me good money is flying in tomorrow and i will run a K9 around a nice terrain with interactive objects while he stands dead dog still inside the CharacterController. So, in desperation, as I wasn't getting any joy from other requests around here I decided to rewrite the AnimationControllerSwitchboard in Javascript.That being said and the update to Playmaker breaking my animation system, I tried accessing the FSM for the last hour or so and surfing for examples. I found a bit and ma playing guessing games and hit and miss. Painful... as the editor takes 90 seconds to start and 2 minutes to exit due to Substances. I find out in ten sewonds something doesn't work and it is a five minute round trip to test it if i remember what the heck I was tracking after all that time.  I will go decorate terrain as i am deadstopped till I get an answer. And i want to know why the update broke my Fsm's ability to play animations. I am, trying to do the following

1. Get the components name(working on it)
2. Get the float variable currentMoveMagnitude from it.(that comes next)
or..
3. Get the FSM AnimationControllerSwitchboard working as it was at 3:30 today about six hours ago before i updated and it broke.(and I don't have to do work I did already in another format)

Went back to check prior to posting this. Saw some kind of PlayMakerMouse thingee in my Inspector that never existed prior. I removed it after double clicking and having the PlayMaker.dll open into Unitron. After that now my CharacterControllers response to the mouse is screwy, it lags and the character points to the left when the mouse is on the right of the screen and vice versa. If the mouse is in the center the controller is moving off at a tangent. What was that and where do i get another??

Signed
Absolutely Frustrated

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Do you have a backup for the presentation? You should always backup Unity projects before importing any kind of update! Just copy the whole project directory. I know this advice doesn't help now if you didn't do it, but in the future always backup, or better yet, use version control! Personally I can't imagine developing anything without version control, especially for a client. Without version control you're always one misstep away from disaster... you just don't need that kind of stress!

But moving on...

PlayMakerMouse should get added automatically if you use any mouse events in your FSM. You should never see it in the inspector though... This is a new feature so there could be bugs with it. We beta test every update, but some bugs will slip through - again, backup or use version control!

It's hard to diagnose the other problems without seeing your setup. Can you send me your project? I'll take a look at it ASAP...

iPetProjectDev

• Playmaker Newbie
I had to reimport all the 3D files and then the animations returned their access to me. I was up till 5:30 am that day. Got it together and the client loved it. I had one other glitch. Do not use the Beta Component Reorderer. It will wipe the Fsm's clean. Fortunately if I do something twice the third time is a snap so i put it back together in a an hour. Now I am trying to get tilt to terrain slope working without a fake hack. I will post on that because this is another one of those questions asked everywhere with no solid answers.

I have the Asset Server but there are some problems with it so I just save, save , save.

Thx
Randy