playMaker

Author Topic: Full screening the FMS editor while running the game freezes Unity [FIXED]  (Read 8858 times)

4s4

• Playmaker Newbie
This has happened me way too often and I just lost good hour or so work for it, oh well.
Finally decided to look if I could replicate the freeze and it seems to happen every time:

Start Unity,
run game inside the editor without "maximize on play"
select fms editor tab and press space to fullscreen it.
Game and editor freezes(only ctrl+alt+del > quit process works)

It double annoying if all that happens accidently while testing the game.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 03:12:59 PM by Alex Chouls »

syleron

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Full screening the FMS editor while running the game freezes Unity
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 05:30:19 AM »
This just happened to me as well and lost about 3 hours of work. Not too happy with this.

4s4

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 02:13:54 PM »
This seems pretty easy to track down, any progress on this? Alex or others?

I'm just asking because it just happened again  :-\

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 09:00:08 PM »
I actually haven't been able to repro this here.

Have you upgraded to 1.4.3?

If it still occurs in 1.4.3 please submit a bug report (Main Menu > PlayMaker > Bug Report Tool) so we can get more info on your setup.

A screencast would also be very helpful...

4s4

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 05:18:40 PM »
All right, I'll try to the official bug report tomorrow. And I might as well do a little video about it. 

4s4

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 05:42:55 PM »
doh, my playmaker version is 1.3.3, I'll update and check if this still occurs on my setup...

Edit: Still happens. :'(

Edit2: here's a quick capture of the problem. hope it helps.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 06:49:53 PM by 4s4 »

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 11:04:50 PM »
Thanks, that video helped a lot. Recreated your layout and was able to repro the bug.

It looks like it has something to do with keeping the Action Browser docked in the layout. If I remove the Action window from the layout I can space fullscreen and back without problem.

Can you confirm this is the case for you to?

EDIT: Actually seems to happen with any Playmaker Tool Window docked in the layout...

EDIT: Got a bead on this... Unity does some pretty crazy EditorWindow juggling when maximizing views, and the order of window events doesn't quite make sense, but should have a fix soon...

EDIT: Ok, fixed. Sent you an invite to the beta.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 12:48:24 AM by Alex Chouls »

4s4

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 05:33:14 AM »
I quickly checked and this seems to be fixed in the newest beta! :)

Created by: X

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Created by: X
Playmaker crashes with multiple monitors
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 04:01:59 AM »
I am posting here because I'm pretty certain my issues are the same issue discussed here but slightly different.

I had a number of asset store packages installed in the project I was working on and isolated the bug down to playmaker. creating a test project using just playmaker confirmed this.

I am experiencing a crash/freeze behavior when using playmaker. As stated above It may be related to having the playmaker window docked. But in part 1 of the video I use Get button down with spacebar as the jump key and it did not crash like I expected it to (sometimes it crashes when spacebar is pressed), but then in part 2 after restarting unity and running under 3 monitors it crashed.

I just did another test in a 3 monitor setup and had playmaker in a non docked window and it also crashed/froze the unity editor when I switched from that layout to a layout that did not have any playmaker windows.

Unity version: 3.5.3f3
playmaker version: 1.4.3f5

Link to download containing 2 videos and screenshot are available here http://www.createdbyx.com/file.axd?file=2012/12/playmakercrash.zip 21Mb

In the part 1 video the crash does not happen like expected, but 2nd video with multi monitor setup it did freeze up.

In the screenshot the console error starting with "GUI Window tries to begin rendering while something else has not finished..." does not contain any stack trace info. I have also managed to get this error but not have unity crash.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 05:07:36 AM by Created by: X »

Nezabyte

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 12:06:57 AM »
I'm running into this issue with the latest version of Playmaker - 1.4.3f5 . I didn't have any problems running with "Maximize on Play" in the past, so I'm not sure what triggered it to start occuring.

Removing the Playmaker tab and adding it back again, or converting the Game tab to a separate window, seems to solve the issue. But for the latter solution, converting back to a Game tab just makes the error start appearing again and lock up Unity, forcing me to restart the application.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 12:11:12 AM by Nezabyte »

Auris

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 11:24:10 PM »

this just happened to me.

i was doing a lot of guesswork at the time on my own project, so i really had no idea what caused it.

after some research to narrow down the problem, for me i've fixed it by keeping my number of open tabs in Unity to under seven.

this may be why some people have had success in undocking tabs and creating windows out of them.

i think it's not the interaction between the tabs themselves, but how Unity manages those tabs.

if Unity is trying to reference the tabs, and simultaneously remove one or more of those tabs from the container of tabs it has referenced, it is unable to do so, and will crash.

i'm not certain if this is a Unity or Playmaker issue, as i'm not going to begin to understand how it *actually* works.  i'm satisfied with just surmising enough to keep me out of trouble, so that i can work on my own problems. ;)

hope this is helpful to anyone who may encounter this problem, and hope this solution works for people other than myself.

happy coding!

**edit**

i don't know, maybe it's late and i just jumped at the solution.  i think the premise is accurate, but my solution is not, since after posting, i decided to *waste my time* ;) by doing further checking.

by adding another open Unity tab, i couldn't repro the error.

seemed that having the Globals variable Playmaker tab tabbed behind the FSM window was what did it.

anyway, it's obvious that i'm shooting in the direction of the problem, there may be something helpful here, or another way of looking into the issue, so i'll leave my post up, and hope it helps.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 11:37:04 PM by Auris »

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 02:01:20 AM »
I believe this was fixed in 1.4.4 - if anyone who experienced the problem can confirm, that would be great! :)